Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Getting over childhood trauma

(3 Posts)
mawi Tue 14-Jun-16 16:01:36

I had a shit childhood.
My father was a very abusive man. He has finally died.
I went to see him in the funeral home and actually shook. I walked away and within 15 minutes I was singing, I felt pure joy. I have not seen him in years so I will not miss him. I have not missed him.
He was buried yesterday and I did not attend.
So apparently the shaking was good as I was releasing trauma, has anyone experienced this.

RaarSaidTheLion Tue 14-Jun-16 16:05:39

Yes, I have experienced this, it is good.

I have also read some books about it- "Walking the Tiger: Healing Trauma" by Peter Levine and "Trauma Releasing Exercises" by David Berceli.

Glad you feel free and joyful.

Neatfreak38 Tue 14-Jun-16 16:52:48

I never went to my mothers funeral, I was glad when she passed away as was like you say an abusive unloving parent who caused me a lot of upset. I haven't had those emotions but I'm sure it is natural to feel like you have after such a traumatic moment..hugs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now