Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Assault?

(28 Posts)
MayaMaya Sun 12-Jun-16 21:12:26

Is it assault if a husband spanks a wife? It happened during a disagreement. Not sure how to feel, other than embarrassed.

(Not much detail as I'm to sure what to say tbh.)

MayaMaya Sun 12-Jun-16 21:19:47

And, no, this isn't a joke, I didn't know where else to ask.

LumpySpacedPrincess Sun 12-Jun-16 21:21:13

If someone hits you, it's assault.

ILoveAGoodBrusselSprout Sun 12-Jun-16 21:23:14

I don't understand.

Was he trying to be 'playful' or was he punishing you, hitting you in anger?

averylongtimeago Sun 12-Jun-16 21:29:23

It's assault, even if you call it spanking.

MayaMaya Sun 12-Jun-16 21:29:54

In anger. It's just sounds so silly though, getting spanked. Doesn't seem as though it would count.

Fairenuff Sun 12-Jun-16 21:36:36

Yes it's assault.

Use the word 'hit' instead of 'spanked' and try your question again - 'Is it assault if a husband hits a wife? It happened during a disagreement.'

averylongtimeago Sun 12-Jun-16 21:36:50

It's not silly. If he punched you it wouldn't be silly, this is the same. Where is he now, are you safe?

LadyStarkOfWinterfell Sun 12-Jun-16 21:38:48

He hit you. Where he hit you isn't really relevant. Of course it's assault.

Chchchchangeabout Sun 12-Jun-16 21:42:35

Why would it not be assault?

RunRabbitRunRabbit Sun 12-Jun-16 21:46:12

Yes, of course, how could it not be?

I assume you are not in a relationship where this type of thing is allowed by prior agreement.

MayaMaya Sun 12-Jun-16 21:49:00

No agreement. (that sort of thing isn't my cup of tea)

That's made it clearer fairenuff, thankyou.

WellErrr Sun 12-Jun-16 21:50:38

You weren't spanked. You were hit. And yes, it is assault.

What happened? Are you ok?

MayaMaya Sun 12-Jun-16 22:02:37

I'm ok, my bum is just a bit sore and bruised.
It happened last night and this morning. Still not sure exactly how it got to that, it was just a silly argument.

LadyStarkOfWinterfell Sun 12-Jun-16 22:03:42

He did it again this morning? Sweetheart he's abusing you. What are you planning to do? Has he hit or 'punished' you before?

MayaMaya Sun 12-Jun-16 22:23:25

I was still upset about last night so brought it up this morning, and well yeah, he did it again.
Everything is fine now, i just wanted to know if I was justified thinking it was assault. It's happened in the past but not for a while, I was just shocked it happened again. I'm not planning to do anything really.

MayaMaya Sun 12-Jun-16 22:24:10

(I will try talking to him, but not leave or anything like that.)

jayho Sun 12-Jun-16 23:12:41

Ash, well that's fine then, let him hit you when he feels like you deserve it

jayho Sun 12-Jun-16 23:13:06

Aah

ImperialBlether Sun 12-Jun-16 23:14:30

If he hit you just as hard on your face, would you leave then?

WellErrr Sun 12-Jun-16 23:18:04

Helpful jayho hmm

jayho Sun 12-Jun-16 23:28:08

She's minimising well, needs a wake-up call, that's all

Willow2016 Mon 13-Jun-16 00:31:21

WHy did you ask if you arent planning on doing anything about it?

He is hitting you, you can call it a slap or a hit or whatever you like but its assault/abuse, and you are letting him do it whenever it suits him just because you disagreead about something?

You are sore and have a bruise what else can it be?

Big flashing red light.... do something about it now or next time it could be your face thats sore and bruised or you could be explaining to a&e staff how you 'walked into a door, ha ha, no really I did, silly me'

DailyMailGOFuckOff Mon 13-Jun-16 00:39:12

It's incredibly degrading OP, it wasn't playful and sexual and you are not a child. Your an equal - or should be, in his eyes.

What's next?

goddessofsmallthings Mon 13-Jun-16 02:55:43

It happened last night and this morning
I'm not planning to do anything really^

As you haven't reported your h to the police for physically assaulting causing bruising and soreness to your posterior, you've given him carte blanche to do it again.

Be aware that if he "spanked" you on your bare bum and you had sex with him after he hit you, you're giving him opportunity to claim that this "sort of thing" is, indeed, your "cup of tea".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now