Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Struggling to make friends...

(6 Posts)
Loveandstuff Fri 10-Jun-16 14:51:13

I struggle with my anxiety. I see neighbours inviting people over regularly for BBQ's and having people round for a cuppa and I would like that but I struggle to make friends and almost don't understand social etiquette anymore.

How do you go from meeting a fellow parent at a toddler group to inviting them over? My confidence is so low and I'm scared of rejection I suppose.

We've not lived in this village for that long and I have added a couple of people I have met at local groups on Facebook, but don't know how to go from here? I'm awkward! I struggle with social side but would love a friend!

Any advice?

whimsical1975 Fri 10-Jun-16 15:40:43

Do you have DC's?? Lots of moms become friends because their DC's are friends... arrange some play dates at yours and have the moms over for tea.

Loveandstuff Fri 10-Jun-16 18:32:46

Yeah, I have two DC's. However, my DS starts school in September and has Aspergers so his social capabilities are lacking, which may be part of the problem. I have my DD who is younger and maybe she will be better at sustaining friendships as she gets older, which may help.

Invite them over for tea and then what? Will a friendship blossom from there? I just find it very daunting.

Nannaboppa Fri 10-Jun-16 18:45:56

I know the feeling well! I struggle with anxiety especially social anxiety & find it hard to make friends. What I am trying to do is just be myself, my sometimes very awkward, anxiety ridden self.
The more you hang round people the easier it gets. Try to find someone you feel at ease with & invite them for coffee then hopefully you'll become friends. if not don't worry or try to force it we're not supposed to be friends with everyone! I'm sure others will have better advice. I'm still working on myself. All the best & try not to beat yourself up!

Loveandstuff Fri 10-Jun-16 19:02:05

Nannaboppa, thank you. It's nice to know I'm not alone with my insecurities. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Nannaboppa Fri 10-Jun-16 19:35:55

Youre welcome smile You are most definitely not alone! I think nowadays more than ever, more & more people are suffering with anxiey & struggle to make friends. Facebook doesn't help it has us believing that everyone is having a great time with all their friends & while some are, there are lots that aren't! Wishing you all the best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now