Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What makes a good relationship?

(9 Posts)
Freeandsinglewater Fri 10-Jun-16 12:40:45

We all have seen lots of posts on bad relationships, and bad behaviour. This board is littered with them.
I've come out of a abuse relationship, and I'm finally dating again. Being with a guy who is not controlling is sometimes odd.

So what is a good relationship?

Freeandsinglewater Fri 10-Jun-16 12:42:26

I'll start...
Being asked IF I want sex.

Queenbean Fri 10-Jun-16 12:44:05

You get asked if you want sex?

If, when the mood struck DP, he said "fancy a shag?" I'd not think it was too romantic.

Isn't it more "a guy who respects if I'm not in the mood and says no"

swingofthings Fri 10-Jun-16 12:45:06

It's cliche but without a doubt, trust. It's not trust relating to faithfulness, it's trust of good intention, caring, listening, being open, sharing etc...

Until I met my OH, I never trusted anyone, so it was a very strange new concept. He himself was very careful of trusting. We both believe that Trust is something that is earnt and that can only happen with time.

I think for us, 100% trusting came when we got engaged. Trusting mean that we really are two individuals but within one entity.

Of course, there are then all the other things that makes it a loving relationship but trust is without a doubt the foundation.

swingofthings Fri 10-Jun-16 12:47:37

Being asked IF I want sex.
What a strange response. Do you always have to be asked before you are intimate? I assume it goes both ways too of course. I can't imagine each time needing to have this conversation 'I'm feeling a bit in the mood, do you want to have sex?' and if the answer is no 'ok, no worries, I'll ask again in 10 minutes? smile

I suppose it goes back to what I wrote, if Trust in there, you really don't need to have to ask.

Freeandsinglewater Fri 10-Jun-16 12:52:05

The bad relationship, I never got a
Choice, and even when I did say no, it didn't matter.

This guy has always respected my choices.

Pinkheart5915 Fri 10-Jun-16 12:53:50

Being asked if you want sex? oh no that wouldn't be good for me, I don't want to be asked if I want to go and have sex, I want to be turned on have my motor running but with a man who respects it's ok if I don't want to play.

Trust and feeling safe, I trust my DH completely no doubting ever I'm not insecure worrying when his out checking his phone (I've got friends that do this) and I feel completely safe when with dh.

Somebody that is there for you always to offer support.

Somebody that puts you top priority

K8dw Fri 10-Jun-16 14:16:57

Mutual respect.

wherearemymarbles Fri 10-Jun-16 14:42:51

1st find a decent human being.
Then For it to last you need compatibility otherwise you are doomed in the long run.

Eg we use the words 'fancy a quick shag' fairly often. Works for us

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now