Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Help! What's a decent excuse to get out of a wedding

(16 Posts)
fizzfiend Thu 09-Jun-16 00:23:15

I have a wedding coming up that I just can't face going to. I'm separated, a single mum, and just not feeling up to this huge event (it's a friend who I've known for a while). The main point though is it's becoming a bit of a bridezilla nightmare, with clashes of personalities and I just do not want to go. There are 250 people going so I won't be missed, but what is a good enough excuse? Any ideas? Please!!!

Tartyflette Thu 09-Jun-16 00:25:38

Family birthday/other similar occasion?
Opportunity for weekend break?

Tartyflette Thu 09-Jun-16 00:26:18

DC sporting event?

purplefox Thu 09-Jun-16 00:26:56

Childcare?

SandyY2K Thu 09-Jun-16 00:27:33

You'll be out of town

Aussiebean Thu 09-Jun-16 00:27:41

I'm sorry, I already have a prior commitment that day. Congratulations and have a wonderful day.

purplefox Thu 09-Jun-16 00:29:09

Have you already RSVPed?

Redisthenewblack Thu 09-Jun-16 00:39:05

Childcare is an easy one.

Myusernameismyusername Thu 09-Jun-16 00:39:53

I usually just either go for a very short while and drive then leave or I say I am committed to something else like family

2nds Thu 09-Jun-16 00:43:17

No one needs to give a reason, I'd say it's a personal matter and just leave it at that.

OlennasWimple Thu 09-Jun-16 00:44:21

Depends if you have already said you will be there...

Vriksasana Thu 09-Jun-16 00:56:16

You have all of my sympathies. I'm a single parent as well. It can be tough, watching all of that love and happiness, on your own, with a smile stapled on.

What about ''sorry, flights already booked hat weekend!'' to.... somewhere cheap (ish) flights to see an old school friend/cousin in Ireland/ your aunt's 70th - nothing too razzmatazz like a weekend in vegas that will require an elaborate lie afterwards. Just a lie that you can say, oh yes, i went, it was lovely to catch up with her.

Iknownuffink Thu 09-Jun-16 01:01:29

You won't be missed.

GarlicSteak Thu 09-Jun-16 01:15:17

If this is imminent and you've already accepted, I'd just not go. Send a card and present when they get back from honeymoon, with a note full of loveliness and a couple of lines saying you were devastated that you had to miss their wedding.

If it's about turning down the invitation and it's all getting a bit EastEnders, it barely matters what you say as someone will be highly offended! Just give an excuse that can't be rearranged - a minor but crucial surgery, perhaps?

Bogeyface Thu 09-Jun-16 01:32:35

If its this weekend then the money will have been spent so D&V is the best way to go. They wont want you there with that.

If you havent then childcare issues is the best thing. An elaborate lie about your Mums 70th will soon be exposed when it happens again a year later!

Bogeyface Thu 09-Jun-16 01:32:54

If you havent RSVP'd

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now