Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

why can kids drive me to tears so easily?

(7 Posts)
coco1810 Sat 28-May-16 23:18:40

DS (12 and very hormonal) has just made me sob my heart out over a penalty shootout. The footie game he'd been watching had gone to extra time, penalties and sudden death. I'd had enough at 10:30 and told him enough, bedtime.

Response: I hate you, you always shout at me.

I know he's hormonal, I know in the morning he'll apologise but I have just sobbed like a baby over it. We've had such a lovely day and now I am lay in bed with a blocked nose and head from crying.

MakeItRain Sat 28-May-16 23:33:09

He doesn't hate you, he just hated the fact he couldn't finish watching his game. I'd say pick your battles in future. If he'd watched it til penalties and sudden death, being suddenly told to switch it off must have been completely and utterly infuriating, and then tripled some with the raging hormones!

Try to focus on the lovely day you've had, and plan something equally lovely for tomorrow. flowers

Cabrinha Sat 28-May-16 23:49:20

He's 12 and it's a bank holiday weekend, no need to go to bed!
If I'd just watched a whole match through ET, penalties and into sudden death I'd be raging at someone telling me after all that I couldn't finish it and find out the result?

He shouldn't have said he hates you but I can see why he was angry! Bear in mind also that competitive sport can build tension - so he'd have been ready to blow after that length of time.

Why did you try to cut him off from watching it? I wonder if the reason you are so upset, is related to whatever reason you has for trying to cut him off? It seems an odd thing to do - so makes me wonder what else is going on in your life right now?

onemorecupofcoffeefortheroad Sat 28-May-16 23:52:05

Save your tears for the serious stuff. Smile that he cares about a penalty shoot out

joellevandyne Sun 29-May-16 00:26:15

My OH just watched that game too (other side of world) and yes, it was aggravating that it kept rolling on when we were meant to be getting on with the day, but if I'd chopped it off at the last minute, he'd have been raging, and rightly so!

But that's not the question, is it? Why did his reaction drive you to tears? You don't have any ideas yourself? Did you take him seriously when he said he hates you? Does he say it often at the moment? Are you feeling especially unloved in general? As Cabrinha says, what else is going on for you?

Sometimes I've had a really shit week, stress at work, no time for myself, maybe DP is narking me for some reason, the kids are being difficult... and I keep holding it together, keep holding it together... and then I accidentally bash my elbow on the doorway and it sets me off on a 20-minute crying jag. But if anyone tries to tell me that I might be over-reacting, I'll howl at them that NO IT REALLY REALLY HURTS.

FrancisdeSales Sun 29-May-16 02:20:35

The worst is when your kids are hormonal and YOU are hormonal. Could this be a factor? Lethal combo = emotional meltdown.

Toomanymarsbars Sun 29-May-16 13:37:14

My mum was like this, it was always very frustrating because instead of telling my brother "you do NOT speak to me like that young man" she allows him to walk all over her and would cry like a child about it. I wish she could've stood up for herself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now