Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How often do you see a new p when you start of dating?

(22 Posts)
wearymum73 Wed 25-May-16 19:57:13

I have started dating a lovely guy, all going well, but very early days..its only been a month.
We text a little through the day, and more at night or speak in the phone.
The trouble is we are both very busy, and only have met once a week in the past 2 weeks, and will be the same for the next 2 weeks.
Tonight we were meant to meet, he invited me over, but warned he is very sleepy. So I said we would leave it tonight.
So my question is can a new relationship last if you do not see each other very often?

whitershadeofpale Wed 25-May-16 20:02:21

I think once or twice a week is good at the beginning. Some proper time to do things at the weekend and a meet up in the week if work/ other plans don't get in the way.

I don't have DC if that makes a difference.

WeeHelena Wed 25-May-16 21:51:38

Only once a week and almost 6 month in.
Work,distance and personal commitments children factored in.

Oddsocksgalore Wed 25-May-16 22:26:10

We saw each other every day. Before I left he would ask what time I'd be back.

ALaughAMinute Wed 25-May-16 22:42:16

I would only date someone once or twice a week initially but I'm only recently divorced so not looking to rush into anything. I guess it depends on your personal circumstances as it can be difficult when you have young children.

I wouldn't go to someone's house unless I was going to sleep with them by the way. If a man invited me to his house I would assume he wanted to have sex.

TheNaze73 Wed 25-May-16 22:49:53

I think once or twice a week is enough in the early days. I wouldn't assume sex with a house invite though

Jaimx86 Wed 25-May-16 22:56:25

DP and I saw each other everyday for the first few weeks... We're so wrapped up in each other we didn't even realise we had! Settled down to 3-4 times a week after that x

AstrantiaMallow Wed 25-May-16 22:57:55

Once or twice a week. Not necessarily daily communication at the start. What would you like?
Why do you think it can't work?

LineyReborn Wed 25-May-16 22:59:42

Depends if there are children?

newworldnow Wed 25-May-16 23:07:17

you are right he doesn't sound very keen does he? I'd be very busy for the next few weeks.

Foofoobum Wed 25-May-16 23:14:00

I would meet my oh every other day but it very quickly became a daily thing. eceryone is different but once a week imo is only for casual dating and not partners

whitershadeofpale Thu 26-May-16 07:17:30

I agree once or twice a week is for dating not partners but after a month I think that dating is what it is.

ClaudiaWankleman Thu 26-May-16 07:21:38

Did anyone else read P as penis until they clicked on the thread?

HandyWoman Thu 26-May-16 07:24:35

I think once a week is ok in the beginning. Been dating a guy for 3 months and seeing him 1-2 X per week. Mostly once a week for the past 6 weeks. It's going fine. But if it were consistently once every two weeks I'd think that's not enough.

The 'I'm very tired' thing isn't great, you were right to cancel I'd say. Is it just circumstances? Does he seem keen in other ways? Is there the prospect of seeing him more in future? If there are other signs of it not panning out I'd back off and see what happens.

wearymum73 Thu 26-May-16 12:19:13

So generally at first when dating it's about 1-2 times a week.
This is what I would like too. My concerns at only meeting once a week are I think you can spent too much time texting and not seeing each other, you need to physically see each other to communicate and get to know each other properly.
Though to be fair to him, I'm the one who had to cancel the mid week last week, and as we hadn't seen each other for a week, he came home a day early from a trip, so he could see me. So he is making a effort.

BeauGlacons Thu 26-May-16 12:23:05

I thi k it depends on context. Had first date with dh, second date about ten days later. After that we haven't really spent a night apart - for more than 27 years. We fell in love and it was instant.

wearymum73 Thu 26-May-16 18:07:04

That's lovely beau, honest true love, I don't imagine that to happen in my 40's!
He has cancelled his plans for tonight though, so he must have realised last night was a bit crisp!

wearymum73 Thu 26-May-16 18:07:27

*crap not crisp!!

BeauGlacons Thu 26-May-16 18:59:09

I hope you have a lovely evening. Never Sa never smile

ClaudiaWankleman Thu 26-May-16 21:16:01

Just me then...

LondonStill83 Thu 26-May-16 21:20:16

With my now DH we saw each other 3-4 times a week... Maybe 2-3 in early days.

But we were part of the same social circle and were existing friends so it perhaps was a bit different in that regard.

MariposaUno Fri 27-May-16 12:42:15

Definitely just you Claudiagrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now