Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

I sobbed tears on anguish - need to vent, i think

(6 Posts)
qwom Tue 17-May-16 17:14:00

So I'm going through child visitation shite with the family court. It was my Ex's application. My case has been running for 6 years now. The other day I left court and sobbed uncontrollably on my mum's shoulder after I was told it would be adjourned again for the 3rd time in a row due to the other legal teams 'issues'...

Has anyone else had anything like this? Is 6 years normal for this thing to go on? Any advice or shared experiences would be reassuring. Thank you

MrsBertBibby Tue 17-May-16 17:31:30

Well it happens, but not often! And even then, there are usually hiatuses, until someone falls off the wagon, gets banged up, gets let out, or decides they are clean now, or just fancies another go on the merry-go-round.

Are you represented?

MrsBertBibby Tue 17-May-16 17:32:52

Still, if all else fails, your kids will get to 16 and the court will just have to give over. Something to look forward to.grin

qwom Tue 17-May-16 18:49:23

I have legal representation. I'm lucky enough to have been given legal aid before the criteria changed.

I've been going to court pretty much every 6 months since it kicked off, sometimes more.

No drugs involved (I don't think) and I am the resident parent.

10 Years to go then! :/

MrsBertBibby Tue 17-May-16 19:04:47

Well, your solicitor should be able to address that question then! But there is an up side. Don't forget if a final order is made, and he drags it back after that, you won't get another funding certificate!

6 years is ludicrous, though. Terrible strain on you and your kid (s).

qwom Tue 17-May-16 19:22:54

Everyone involved goes on about how protracted the case is. We've had 3 'final hearing' dates - one final hearing that was contested and 2 adjournments. You try to be strong and do what's right for the DC's but it's destroying me. I have to put a brave face on because I'm a lone parent but I'm falling apart.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now