Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Men and younger women

(14 Posts)
Summerwalking16 Sat 14-May-16 19:52:50

I have been told that men have equal feelings of love as women do to men.

If this is the case why is there a much higher proportion of men with younger women?

This is the same factual statistics for OLD, marriage and living together.

Surely if all is equal it should be even stats?

Just interested to know what everyone thinks about this? Does not affect me personally but see it happening around me quite a lot? I have single friends looking for men of the same age but the men seem to be looking for someone younger?

( I am aware it happens the other way round but the stats speak for themselves).

Walkacrossthesand Sat 14-May-16 20:00:45

I think when women are young, they find slightly older lads attractive as women mature earlier than men.
Then, as we all get older, single men seem to look for a younger woman. It's nothing to do with the strength of loving feelings - it's just who we're attracted to. As a 50-something single female, I'm not holding my breath to catch the eye of a man my age. Not gonna happen.

ThisIsDedicatedToTheOneILove Sat 14-May-16 20:04:42

It's been my experience too.

Both my personal experience doing online dating and what men I know IRL are looking for.

Someone is going to ask you how you know what the statistics are. What your source is. Is this just anecdotal 'evidence' or has research been done?

I'm single, often get told I look younger than I am and I'm 'youthful' in my outlook and appearance, yet, the only men who show any interest in me are 10-30 years older. And when you consider some of those 50 year olds think I'm 33-35...

The ones around my age are looking for someone younger. Even when they say they are not, they ultimately are.

I'm not sure about the men and love thing. I read the thread on here recently when the women who suggested that men don't love women in the same was as women love men were shot down. But, I have to say, that my experience also supports this. I think a lot of men 'settle' and a lot of women are looking for love and so accept it.

I've never been loved and even managed to marry someone who didn't love me, ffs!

Last man I went out with was open about wanting someone younger ideally. So I dumped him. He's now with someone who's 11 years younger than he is and is far more attractive than him. I mean, she's really stunning. I was going to say I can't work out what the appeal is, but I suppose I can. He was lovely and sweet when he wasn't checking out every 20 something who walked by!

ThisIsDedicatedToTheOneILove Sat 14-May-16 20:07:51

So many women my age are so 'grown up'. I think a lot of men think older women are boring. I wonder if they think younger women are going to be more fun.

Summerwalking16 Sat 14-May-16 20:10:31

Thisis Yes that's interesting I am an older woman and I feel I have seen enough life to agree with you. Otherwise how do you explain it? Just feel sorry for my single friends, it's rubbish confused

Summerwalking16 Sat 14-May-16 20:14:18

I suppose I was thinking even in marriage stats, which when you think about it there must be an amount of shallowness involved in that thought process for even a life long partner?

Summerwalking16 Sat 14-May-16 20:44:41

Never thought of the boring bit!? O well will
leave it at that, if anyone wants to add anymore comments feel free smile

Almostfifty Sat 14-May-16 20:49:25

Until younger women start to realise that older men will (usually) only be attractive for a few years, then will lose their appeal, they'll always enjoy younger women.

If I had a pound for every younger woman I know who has either ended up nursing or being stuck with an aged husband I think I'd be on my way to being rich now.

gottachangethename1 Sat 14-May-16 20:51:46

Since my dd turned into a gorgeous young women and now working with a very pretty 22 year old colleague, I'm both stunned and disturbed by the amount of attention they both seem to get from men 20+ yrs older than they are. My daughter tells me it's a part of her daily life to have to tell older men to jog on when they are flirting, asking for her number. Do most of them really imagine a young women is going to be interested in being with someone their age??

PlayingGrownUp Sat 14-May-16 20:51:50

I'm 27 and my other half is 41. In my defence I though he was 33 when I asked him out (he was 38). Does mean he's closer to my Mum's age than mine but he's a gentleman and hot and he's nothing like anyone I've been with before (who were all younger than me now that I think about it).

Summerwalking16 Sat 14-May-16 20:57:58

Gotta, said I was going but had to reply. Yes this was my experience when I was younger too!

I think what I was trying to say, there must be (based on these stats) a difference in what men and women value in a relationship and how they fall in love. I am going now! Men feel free to comment.

ThisIsDedicatedToTheOneILove Sat 14-May-16 21:31:08

I also think that the reason younger women are more appealing is not just physical, but I know that I'm a lot more confident in myself than I was many years ago.

What I mean by that is, that in my 20s I'd have put up with a lot more shit and believed a lot more crap than I ever would now.

I think men know/believe they can get away with a lot more with a younger woman who is more likely (in their opinion) to say, "but I love him!" than an older woman who is more likely to say, "stuff that".

I think it's the perceived lack of confidence/self assuredness that a lot of men find appealing too.

I wouldn't say I was hugely popular with older men when I was younger, but I can remember bosses and lecturers who paid more attention than they probably should.

Always married too.

MusicIsMedicine Sat 14-May-16 21:58:46

Totally agree. Older men often prey on younger women. A friend of mine of 36 went on a date with someone who claimed he was 44, turned out he was actually 54!

Then she carried on seeing him and within 6 weeks he wanted her to move in and have a baby with him 'because he'd be a better Dad second time around' and 'it would give him a routine.'

Glad she saw sense and ran away!

ThisIsDedicatedToTheOneILove Sat 14-May-16 22:06:24

I can't ever see my single status changing now, tbh.

I'm 41 and I'm not quite ready to be partnered with a paunchy, grey haired/balding 60 year old yet. And by the time I am, they'll still be looking at the 40 year olds!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now