Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What are my rights?

(10 Posts)
Dontknow12 Thu 12-May-16 11:38:54

Partner and I split today after 15 years. We are not married but we signed something to say I am entitled to 25% of the flat. Am I entitled to everything else. I am not from the UK and a friend in my home country seems to think that I should be. Any advice?

Hydroshield Thu 12-May-16 11:40:57

Seriously how much help can people give you when you say you signed 'something' to say you're entitled to 25% of the flat ? What was this 'something'?
Is the flat in both names? Did your partner already have the flat or was it purchased together?

ComtesseDeSpair Thu 12-May-16 11:47:31

MN have a rough guide on this: www.mumsnet.com/relationships/legal-rights-for-unmarried-couples

A lot will depend on whether or not you have children, whether you're on the deeds to the property, whether you contributed to its upkeep and what exactly it was that you signed to agree you get 25%. Ideally you should seek legal advice.

Dontknow12 Thu 12-May-16 11:49:37

Thanks Hydroshield I I really needed the attitude!

We signed a piece of paper that is held with the solicitor. I don't remember what its called.

It was purchased together. No children and I am on the deeds.

I will be seeking legal advice when I get back to the UK. i just wanted some advice now.

MrsBertBibby Thu 12-May-16 11:49:38

Rights for unmarried couples is a very complicated and fact specific area. The law is a mess.

You are going to need to get proper detailed advice from an experienced family solicitor.

Dontknow12 Thu 12-May-16 11:52:48

Thank you Comtesse and Mrs.

pocketsaviour Thu 12-May-16 11:55:33

Was the document you signed a Deed of Trust?

You do need specific advice on this, but if there are no children involved and you haven't contributed any unusual extras to the value of the flat (e.g. - paid for a new kitchen, bathroom, etc. Decorating and maintenance doesn't count) then it's likely you'll be entitled to what you signed up for originally and no more.

Dontknow12 Thu 12-May-16 11:57:01

Quite possibly Pocket. I will check with the solicitors when I'm back. I thought as much regarding not being entitled to anymore and to be honest I don't want anything. Just thought I'd check.

MyKingdomForBrie Thu 12-May-16 12:01:04

In the absence of agreement this can be fact specific but as there is an express agreement in your case you would be unlikely to be able to overturn this, it would be legally expensive to try.

Do you feel you should be entitled to more? Have you contributed a lot more than your share suggests? Do you think your partner might be reasonable if so?

Dontknow12 Thu 12-May-16 12:02:29

I don't want anymore and to be honest I didn't think I was going to be entitled. Its just a friend suggested that I might be. The laws are very different between the UK and my home country.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now