Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Online divorce anyone???

(10 Posts)
BlessedMummy123 Mon 09-May-16 07:28:32

Has anyone used an online divorce service which they can recommend? Hoping to save money by going the online route but need to be sure they are reliable.

MagicMoonstone Mon 09-May-16 07:37:47

Pretty sure you still have to pay the 410 quid court fees regardless of who you use

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 09-May-16 07:50:24

The court fee is actually £550. You should be able to fill in the divorce petition yourself, just phone your local County Court and ask for a Divorce Pavk to be posted to you. It's usually recommended that you get legal help when it comes to the financial settlement.

IMHO these online "help" companies make things slower, not faster.

Chasingsquirrels Mon 09-May-16 07:56:36

I did mine myself having downloaded the forms from the government site. The actual divorce is very easy, it's the financial arrangements you will probably need legal expertise for.

MagicMoonstone Mon 09-May-16 08:21:42

My bad... I don't know where I plucked £410 from.

BlessedMummy123 Mon 09-May-16 09:40:27

Thank you for the replies. The online company does clearly state court fees are separate, but they offer a service for £299 where a solicitor handles all paperwork for you including the financial side of things. Wonder if it's worth it? Will have to research further. Thanks for the help!

Chasingsquirrels Mon 09-May-16 10:40:29

I honestly can't believe you'd get everything done AND ADVICE ON FINANCES for £299.
"Doing the finances" ie filing the forms is as straight forward as the rest of it. It is the negotiations to ageee the financial position that costs time and therefore money.
If you have agreed and are happy with your financial split, then maybe - exH and I did this between us, I dealt with the land registry trf of the house (no mortgage, it is more complicated if there is a mortgage), we agreed on the pension position and split the cash. When we actually divorced a few years later it had already been actioned but I had a solicitor draw up the details into a simple consent order which I filed with the court. This consent order alone cost £150 plus VAT and I don't think that was in any way expensive.

BlessedMummy123 Mon 09-May-16 11:07:55

Chasingsquirrels....if you don't mind me asking, what was the total cost of divorce to you at the time? Hubby & I are in agreement about financial split and have children who we are happy to share custody of. I'm not expecting a complicated divorce.

Chasingsquirrels Mon 09-May-16 12:02:09

I did everything, so excluding court fees (which has changed now) the total cost was the £150+VAT to the solicitor for the consent order.

As I mentioned earlier the land registry transfer was very straight forward because there was no mortgage.

If it's as straight forward as you say then maybe your £299 is reasonable. It could well be worth taking some advice over the finances though, even if you are happy with the split - just to make sure they seem fair to a knowledgeable outsider.

BlessedMummy123 Mon 09-May-16 12:17:26

Appreciate the advice Chasingsquirrels. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now