Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What am I entitled to after divorce

(7 Posts)
milena00 Tue 03-May-16 11:03:47

I'm considering to divorce. After one recent event I have looked through our life together and doubt my spouse is the one I want to share all my life with. We have three kids, the youngest is 2 months old baby. My husband owns a company and I'm helping him with the business on a part time basis as a self-employed and the rest of the time I'm looking after the kids and do everything at home. He is the main breadwinner. Currently I receive maternity allowance, so not working until this ends. Also we are about to move to a house which we bought from a shared-ownership scheme with a mortgage having both our names on. We've been married for 13 years and living together 15. If I do decide to go ahead with the divorce what am I entitled to? I pretty much want to keep routine the way it is now not to put stress on kids. They have plenty of after-school activities which obviously are costly. I, and I think my husband, wouldn't want them to leave those. Things didn't get to the state of hostility or any sort of abuse or violence. My husband want to save the marriage and said WE need to change and even has improved in few areas. Some of his actions though show he wouldn't change in areas I'm most concerned of. I don't mind him seeing kids as they love him, I have never showed them I'm unhappy in any way with their dad. What are the options if I decide to separate and what financial support I and the kids (I want them to live with me) are entitled to?

VocationalGoat Tue 03-May-16 11:07:41

Call a family solicitor for a free one hour consultation.

pratiaalba Tue 03-May-16 11:10:09

What if he wants 50/50 shared care? Obviously baby cannot do that if bf, but older ones could.

VocationalGoat Tue 03-May-16 11:11:42

What are your expectations?

Micah Tue 03-May-16 11:12:31

Ask a solicitor. There's no way anyone here can tell you without knowing your circumstances. Get an appointment and see where you stand.

Generally, you start from 50:50. Add everything up, split it. If you do not have enough assets for both of you- so to buy and furnish two houses, cars etc, then things will be re-negotiated with the view of keeping a family home for the children.

What are the options if I decide to separate and what financial support I and the kids (I want them to live with me) are entitled to?

Kids also start with 50:50 shared care. Again that will only be negotiated down for example if you or your ex are left without a suitable property to have the kids overnight.

Have you thought about counselling? It may help you decide if you want to leave or try and save your marriage, same for your ex. If you do decide to split, they can help with this stuff too.

Strix Tue 03-May-16 11:17:26

Is it possible that PND is a factor here?

How old are the other two?

DarrenHardysDrongo Tue 03-May-16 11:45:48

You should get proper legal advice, especially if his company is limited.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now