Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Q - If you & your DH go out in the car together, who drives?

(182 Posts)
SuperMumNot Sat 30-Apr-16 15:37:13

a) DH
b) you
c) depends whose car you're in
d) DH, unless he's had a drink or two
e) varies - you alternate/whoever feels like it etc

Please just indulge me with an answer - I'll explain why a bit later smile

DoreenLethal Sat 30-Apr-16 15:38:26

depends. On whose car, the reason, if we are swapping over halfway, if one of us is being dropped off, if one of us is feeling ropey.

Usually one of us will feel more like it than the other.

Archer26 Sat 30-Apr-16 15:39:02

C) depends which car we take. It's usually mine so usually me. I am very particular about him driving my car. Him not so much about me driving his.

I think I have control issues grin

VodkaJelly Sat 30-Apr-16 15:40:48

Mostly DP, I hate driving, so it doesn't bother me, I always drive when he has been drinking.

Looly71 Sat 30-Apr-16 15:41:47

C as well and we usually go in my car as I too have control issues

Shapebandit Sat 30-Apr-16 15:42:02

We've only got one car and I drive it a lot during the week so when we go out together DH usually drives as he enjoys it and I'm not fussed as I've been driving all week already

Gizlotsmum Sat 30-Apr-16 15:42:10

DH loves driving but I drive if we take my car ( unless we are going to his nan's i can't get up and down her drive ;))

PunkrockerGirl Sat 30-Apr-16 15:42:34

I tend to drive most of the time. Unless there's going to be drink involved then dh drives because he doesn't drink and I do loads grin

Cuppaand2biscuits Sat 30-Apr-16 15:42:56

Usually me.

Quietlygoingmad67 Sat 30-Apr-16 15:43:16

DH - I'm not that keen on driving unless I've been there lots before. Unless of course he wants a drink (I'm teetotal so will drive then )

GunShotResidue Sat 30-Apr-16 15:44:39

e)
At the moment it's mostly DH as I'm 8.5 months pregnant and my hips hate me. In the winter I'll often ask him to drive if it's very icy as I'm a bit anxious about it and he's lived in Germany so has had more experience. Other than that it depends on the circumstances and who wants to drive.

ScarletForYa Sat 30-Apr-16 15:45:04

Me.

I'm the better driver tbh. He's grand, nothing wrong with his driving but I've been driving much longer and am more proficient.

AgentProvocateur Sat 30-Apr-16 15:45:23

Depends who drove it last - it's easier that changing the seat/steering wheel heights and adjusting all the mirrors (big height difference between DP and me)

MulberryWilllow23 Sat 30-Apr-16 15:47:05

I drive a lot with work in the week so OH drives mostly at weekends. OH is insured on my car and drives my car if I feel too tired (ME/CFS).

RobberBride Sat 30-Apr-16 15:48:15

b, me. I'm the more experienced driver, and though I don't really like driving it doesn't bother me to do it. DH tends to get stressed (so we can listen to Classic FM only if he's driving!) However I do make him do half the driving if we're going on a long trip, as he needs the practice and I don't want it to automatically be 'my' job.

Northernlurker Sat 30-Apr-16 15:48:35

E for us. Depends which car and where we are going

pointythings Sat 30-Apr-16 15:48:38

B - me. DH doesn't drive.

Poppledopple Sat 30-Apr-16 15:49:17

Why do you ask?

My DH likes to drive - but sometimes I decide I want to drive - always his car for long journeys and it pisses him off a bit!!

fluffiphlox Sat 30-Apr-16 15:49:45

E

Wanderingwondering Sat 30-Apr-16 15:50:48

DH unless he's had a drink or it's a long journey and he's tired in which case we'll share it.

Suits us both tbh-I'm not a big fan of driving

exexpat Sat 30-Apr-16 15:51:09

With current DP, it's B as he can't drive. With late DH, it was E. Only ever had one, shared car so no issue with his or hers.

oneowlgirl Sat 30-Apr-16 15:52:34

D - I enjoy being driven & looking around me / mumsnetting!

exexpat Sat 30-Apr-16 15:52:49

One amendment - when we were going anywhere unfamiliar, it was usually DH driving and me map reading as he was hopeless at maps, directions etc.

ShowOfHands Sat 30-Apr-16 15:53:18

Me usually. DH falls asleep while driving. He's a bloody liability.

TooLazyToWriteMyOwnFuckinPiece Sat 30-Apr-16 15:53:36

(C) but tend to take his car on bigger trips so probably (a) too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now