Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Did anyone see a solicitor together before divorce?

(8 Posts)
overthehillandroundthemountain Sat 30-Apr-16 13:53:08

Ok, so after my Relate post earlier this week, I wonder if I my DH and I might actually benefit from sitting down with a solicitor, together? I want to tell him later that I want a divorce.

I think maybe being with a solicitor will be better than being with Relate, who seem to take forever. Besides, Relate will not wave a magic wand at this stage, and I don't know if we can go back.

I thought each party went separately but is it worth seeing the same one together, and splitting the assets ourselves, with a means to working through amicably? We have DCs....

Dowser Sat 30-Apr-16 13:55:32

You can try it....what happens if you disagree though

You can do an online divorce which is far cheaper if it's amicable

TimeforaNNChange Sat 30-Apr-16 13:57:55

Most firms of solicitors won't take both parties in a divorce onto their books even under different solicitors - I think there's a regulation against it.

noisytoys Sat 30-Apr-16 14:12:16

You can't both see the same solicitor it would be a conflict of interest. It's like buying a house and using the same solicitor as your seller.

overthehillandroundthemountain Sat 30-Apr-16 14:15:01

Thank you. That's very helpful, I had no idea...

dillydotty Sat 30-Apr-16 14:18:07

Definitely a no solicitor wise. However the first step now for court proceedings is mediation. You sit down with one mediator and try to come to an agreement between you (both money and kids). I think that may be what you are looking for?

overthehillandroundthemountain Sat 30-Apr-16 21:02:10

Yes possibly, thanks for replying. I don't know if he will be amicable - I imagine he would try, he is normally reasonable - but the suggestion of splitting up might make him angry beyond belief. Time will tell but good to be aware of the path.

Atenco Sun 01-May-16 01:42:19

I did, but it was many years ago and not in the UK, but then all we wanted was a divorce, we had no assets to split up. The lawyer was somewhat surprised, said it was the first time that had happened.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now