Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Angry neighbour

(5 Posts)
RubbishMantra Tue 26-Apr-16 13:53:24

I wasn't sure where to post this, but interactions with neighbours are a relationship of sorts?

I share a courtyard with 4 other properties. There was an ugly washing line across it, so I asked ALL of my other neighbours if it was OK to replace it with a less obtrusive retractable one. "Fine" they said. I'm the one who keeps up maintenance of the yard - buying plants/compost etc.

Moving on several months, I find stuff that previous tenants had left outside Angry Neighbour's house, including the retractable washing line reel, which had been smashed, outside my front door. They'd obviously been hurled across the yard. Also the roof of a shed DH and I had assembled to keep the bins in. He kept the strings of the Minky clothes line, strung them up so they looked like old pants elastic. He also kept other neighbours awake, (not me, my house is on the other side of the yard) playing 2 tracks repeatedly.

All of us had angry scrawled noted pushed through our doors, saying we had no right to put up a new clothes line, even though I'd asked his permission.

It gets worse - Sitting outside the other night I noticed a red blinky light focussed on my back door. I knocked at his, and he wouldn't answer the door, but made slitting gestures across his throat, at which point I rang 101. The police were very sympathetic. They had a word, and the blinking camera light is no longer to be seen.

I feel quite violated, as I've planted rose bushes for my DH who I lost last year, and I shed a few tears (and snot) and it pisses me off that I was being filmed.

I'm not asking for advice really, I think I've done all I can. Just wanted a vent I suppose.

Iamdobby63 Tue 26-Apr-16 14:19:06

Oh wow, how awful for you. I thought smashing something up was criminal damage?

You did the right thing calling the police, make sure you keep notes of his antics. Is he a tenant or an owner?

RatherBeRiding Tue 26-Apr-16 14:22:06

You did the right thing alerting the police - any more threatening behaviour should be reported to them too.

Are the properties owned or rented? If rented - might be worth giving the heads up to whoever owns them. This is, at the very least, antisocial behaviour and if he has damaged any property that specifically belongs to you it's criminal damage.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 26-Apr-16 14:25:52

Glad the police reacted quickly and efficiently. Is there a community officer on the beat who might pop by now and then? Hopefully you can stay on good terms with the others who may be already dealing with the noise problem you mentioned which at present doesn't affect you.

Perhaps having made his point he'll simmer down and stew quietly but I'd start your own detailed diary of any future incidents, note the times and dates.

Neighbour Conciliation and Mediation services should be available in your area, (find in phone book or online or better still, ring your local authority Housing Dept. for information).

RubbishMantra Tue 26-Apr-16 14:55:27

Thanks all,

I've kept the damaged stuff Dobby, and photographed it - he smashed a glass in the process of throwing the roof shed at my little bistro table and chair set. Thank fuck I was there to clear up the glass, otherwise my poor little cats could have injured themselves.

Nasty neighbour and I own our properties Riding. Whilst making his throat slitting gestures, he was shouting "This is MY courtyard". Other 2 sharers (who rent) of courtyard are lovely. They're pissed off by his behaviour too.

Thanks for the advice on Nieghbour Concilliation and Mediation, Donkey. I will definitely look into that.

I don't think he's a bad person, he's recently divorced, and I think he's acting out. I hate to think what his XW had to endure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now