Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Do you believe in Karma?

(34 Posts)
mightypissedoff Tue 19-Apr-16 23:21:19

XP and I split up about 4 months ago. He got together with someone else not long after and I've learnt today they have gone off on a two week holiday to a place where we always discussed going but could never afford. I know I'm being unreasonable (which is why I haven't put it in AIBU) but I am feeling so jealous - firstly because he has moved on so quickly and I haven't, secondly because he's taken her on holiday and lastly because he has a narc personality but I hear he is being on his best behaviour with new GF and being kind, considerate etc which he never was with me.

I really hope Karma works and she finds out what a dick he is and dumps him. I'm aware this doesn't make me sound like a nice human being but please don't flame me.

Do any of you believe in Karma and have you seen it in action?

ukgirlatheart Tue 19-Apr-16 23:28:25

Ah thats really hurtful for you. Wonder if she knows about this place? Where is it out of interest?

ukgirlatheart Tue 19-Apr-16 23:30:21

Karma usually takes a long time to catch up on my opinion still waiting for ut to catch up on my ex Husband. You say you havent moved on, are you still single

oldestmumaintheworld Tue 19-Apr-16 23:34:26

Do I believe in Karma? You bet I do. What goes around comes around. If he's a pig he won't be able to keep up being nice for ever and she'll find out what he's like. You are well out of it and will find someone lovely in time.

mightypissedoff Tue 19-Apr-16 23:38:06

Thanks for quick replies. Yes, I'm still single - am not in the right frame of mind yet to move on. I know splitting was the right decision and feel silly being jealous. They have gone to the Maldives sad

RudeElf Tue 19-Apr-16 23:41:07

What do you mean by karma? I get confused because people seem to mean different things when they say it.

Fwiw i hear he is being on best behaviour

Whoever is discussing him with you- stay away from them. Why do you know all this? That he is seeing someone else, going on holiday, best behaviour wtc? You are not helping yourself move on whilst you are still choosing to have him in your life and headspace.

mightypissedoff Tue 19-Apr-16 23:50:27

Rude .. unfortunately he is brother of one of my close friends - I have tried to distance myself a little and told her I don't want to hear anything but she still tells me. You may be right and I will have to distance myself a bit more.

My idea of Karma is that I hope she treats him as badly as he treated me towards the end

RudeElf Wed 20-Apr-16 00:01:15

I would be very firm with this friend. She is being very insensitive to tell you this stuff! How does she think it makes you feel? Tell her straight that you dont want to hear it anymore because it is hurtful. She should at least have sense enough to understand that!

I think you are just wishing bad things on him rather than karma. (My understanding is "what goes around comes around" "reap what you sow") her treating him badly wouldnt fall under my understanding of karma as it would be unrelated to how he treated you. I think karma in terms of his new relationship would be if he treats her badly she leaves him. Which is just natural consequences/reaping what he has sown.

VocationalGoat Wed 20-Apr-16 00:10:41

No. I don't believe in it.
But I do believe that people go through sh*t in any relationship and the one he's in now will have it's very fraught moments.

What I do believe in is not hanging with people who insist on tormenting me with an ex's new and improved relationship. Distance mighty. Draw some lines in the sand with these storyteller friends. You need to heal and move on. The blow by blow accounts of your ex's new life only serve to hurt you. flowers

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Wed 20-Apr-16 00:24:57

Oh definitely. I've always believed and seen evidence of that what goes around comes around.

RudeElf Wed 20-Apr-16 00:26:23

What kind of evidence ilive

GiddyOnZackHunt Wed 20-Apr-16 00:31:04

I think the proper use of Karma relates to something in the next life, in which case you cannot know that he's coming back as a delightful woman who falls for a twunt smile
However in this case he will probably end up alone and angry having gone through a string of women who disappointed him in some way. He'll sit mouldering in his chair feeling aggrieved at the injustice done to him.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Wed 20-Apr-16 00:38:06

I'll have to be very vague as itll out me. It's very identifying, but someone said some thing very hurtful to me, and I told her. Those words will come back to bite you. I don't know, when where or how, but they will and sure enough they did.
Sorry it's so vague, but if I mentioned the full story. I'd have to name change permanently due to it connecting with my other posts, and I'd feel like I wasn't me. If I name changed.

RudeElf Wed 20-Apr-16 00:40:20

grin

Ok. Forgive me if i dont take your word for that being evidence of karma!

AcrossthePond55 Wed 20-Apr-16 02:58:00

To a certain extent. I do believe that you reap what you sow, but that the 'reaping' is a natural consequence of being an arsehole in general, not a 'revenge' thing on my behalf perpetrated by God.

Let's say that I was involved with a generally nice bloke who truly fell in love with someone else, cheated on me, I found out and it broke my heart. I don't think that 'karma' will get him because he handled a single situation very badly. If he was a serial cheat, yes, because his general behavioral pattern makes him susceptible to disease, getting involved with a shitty partner, or getting his arse kicked by someone else.

Oysterbabe Wed 20-Apr-16 03:05:07

I do. That's why whenever something really bad and undeserved happens to me I always go out and push over an old lady just to even the score.

GooseberryRoolz Wed 20-Apr-16 03:06:34

No. No such thing.

I like the "a happy life is the best revenge" thing, though.

GooseberryRoolz Wed 20-Apr-16 03:07:01

Oyster grin

danishkim Wed 20-Apr-16 03:23:40

I dont belive it. Simple, in my religion "karma" doesnt exist. But, as people do the good thing is must so we can got kindness from God.

VinceNoirLovesHowardMoon Wed 20-Apr-16 03:32:28

When you're a twat to people on a regular basis then people will treat you accordingly. It's not karma, it's the natural consequences of being a twat.
This relationship won't last if he's a twat to her too, and if he's a poor judge of character he might have picked a twat too so that won't help. None of this is karma.

FelicityR313 Wed 20-Apr-16 03:37:47

I don't believe in karma hitting other people. I see it more like a boomerang. You sling shit, it will come back and hit you in the face. Their karma is theirs alone.

TheNaze73 Wed 20-Apr-16 08:08:32

Personally, I think Karma is in the Easter bunny, Father Christmas & tooth fairy envelope. Kind of wish it existed but, of course a load of bs.

WhatALoadOfOldBollocks Wed 20-Apr-16 08:23:18

No I don't believe in karma because I don't believe there is a higher being that is controlling things. So if someone gets their just deserts it's chance not destiny. So many horrible people live long and happy lives at the expense of others. Where's their karma?

Toomuchinfo1 Wed 20-Apr-16 09:24:37

I think everyone goes through bad times at some point, and if you want to put that down to karma from something they have done in the past, then why not!

I do sometimes hope that karma is real. As I have one ex in particular that would get what he deserves!

I agree with pp . . .living a happy life is the best karma.

xx

gingerboy1912 Wed 20-Apr-16 09:28:57

Not sure about karma but I definitely believe that you reap what you sow in the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now