Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

I need help for my dad

(6 Posts)
Blossomflowers Mon 18-Apr-16 10:33:32

So Dad ( 72) was rushed into hospital last week with a very bad infection, was there for 4 days and discharged into my care. He went down hill over the weekend and I called out a paramedic who checked him over, seems all is well except he can barely stand, said just need fluid and food. I am doing my best, made chicken soup which he refused to eat, can barely get him to drink water, managed to get him to eat wheatabix this morning but a real struggle. He seems to have lost the will to survive. He has also had a couple of accidents and worried he may be incontinent. He is most definately not able to live independantly atm, I am hoping he will improve. I need to try and get him some help as I long term I am not in a position to look after him. I really out of my depth with this and would be really grateful for any suggestion as to what to to.

Thataintnoetchasketch Mon 18-Apr-16 10:45:49

Phone his GP & ask for a home visit as a starting point. I work for a community rehab team working with people at risk of admission/readmission to hospital & we would usually take a referral to see someone like your dad at home from GP. Senior rehab practitioner would be out same day or at latest within 24hrs for nurse, OT, physio, homecare, pharmacy & dietetic input as needed. Just depends what services are available in your area but GP will be able to advise & access most appropriate. Most local authorities & health boards have some kind of enablement services you can access. Hopefully a period of rehab will see him back to his old self.

Blossomflowers Mon 18-Apr-16 10:56:32

Thank you, sounds like a plan, Will call them now.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 18-Apr-16 11:49:08

Blossomflowers hope the previous poster's excellent advice helps you set wheels in motion.

You probably already know *formerly Age Concern) are useful.

Also, I recently heard of Age, calls itself an
"online resource and community for anyone caring for or concerned about elderly parents or relatives".
Haven't used it myself so can't vouch for how helpful it is or how easy it is to navigate.

Hope you can get your dad what services he needs.

Blossomflowers Mon 18-Apr-16 12:13:57

I have registered him with my GP temporarily and expecting a home visit sometime. Hellp donkey long time no speak hope all is well with you.

AuntMabel Mon 18-Apr-16 12:42:32

Do the HCP know what was the cause of his infection? If his condition has deteriorated since he was discharged such a short time ago I would be inclined to take him back to A&E as it sounds like he needs further tests to find out the cause of his illness.

My DGM was severely let down by lack of follow up/rehab last year. Don't wait for a follow up to come your way, chase for it now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now