Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Early Days Dating: Birthday Present or No?

(11 Posts)
Sweetsweetjane Wed 13-Apr-16 06:59:15

Ok....trivial problem right here.
We have been dating, met up a few times, get on really well and seem to like each other.
He's invited me out on his birthday. I can't go do to a dearth of sitters (much as I'd love to, I feel weird meeting all his friends en masse, even tho I know a couple)
Anyway....we're meeting the next day. I feel I should get a gift but don't know if it's too soon? He's into cooking so poss something foody, he likes quirky things the same as I do so old kitschy stuff but I don't know him well enough to feel confident in choosing something that won't make him go 'errr....ok then....erm...thanks. I guess....'.
So do I or don't I ? And if you vote 'do' then please shower me with ideas!

Hissy Wed 13-Apr-16 07:44:09

Take a bottle of champagne to drink with him, no more than this. Don't over think it.

chelle792 Wed 13-Apr-16 07:48:47

I bought somebody a pastry brush once grin it was based on a conversation though so I wasn't completely mental!

Just something small would be sweet

DiggersRest Wed 13-Apr-16 07:50:08

Something small, as Hissy said, maybe a bottle of champers or something.

Dh and l got together 2 weeks before my birthday. He bought me a rom-com dvd that 10 years later still hasn't been out of its cover grin

But l appreciated the thought.

1DAD2KIDS Wed 13-Apr-16 13:13:22

I would say something little, inexpensive and unexpected. Also something novel that you'll remember for life and if all goes well will be telling the offspring about. For example a small quality pork pie would be lovely (obviously just example but that would impress me).

sonjadog Wed 13-Apr-16 13:19:28

I would definitely get him something. Something small and edible, so that if you two don't work out it won't be sitting there in his house for ever more. Personally, I would be thrilled to get some fancy cheese. I love cheese.

1DAD2KIDS Wed 13-Apr-16 13:32:50

A simple little gesture of quality food is looking a good bet. Especially if he's a foodie.

Bree85 Wed 13-Apr-16 16:00:41

A little gift wont hurt. Just a thank you for inviting you on his birthday. smile

ParadiseCity Wed 13-Apr-16 16:02:46

I agree with the champagne.

Nothavingfunrightnow Wed 13-Apr-16 21:07:02

I am in the same predicament and am stumped!

I think champagne or (in my wallet's case) Prosecco will have to do!

Sweetsweetjane Wed 13-Apr-16 23:18:59

Thanks so much for all your ideas, late reply. I love the booze idea. I found some red wine jam today and some popping candy truffles. Will def give him the truffles, not sure re jam yet, might keep it for me!
I do overthink most things, glad I posted for advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now