Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How could I get so wrong

(7 Posts)
PramFaceMum Mon 11-Apr-16 14:16:57

Completely got the wrong end of the stick when talking to an old friend about him really liking someone but wasn't sure what to do about it. I thought he was talking about me and got all excited as we are due to meet up next week for dinner/drinks.

We have known each other for a few years and always had a chemistry but we were both in long term relationships so that was that. We are both now single so when he was talking about his crush and asked me to meet next week I stupidly thought he was talking about me and was testing the water with me by talking about his crush.

Anyway, during a conversation today it turns out he was talking about a woman he works with and he's finally 'professed how he feels to her' and she feels the same way. I acted thrilled for him but feel so stupid and gutted. Now I don't know what to say. I wasn't in love with him or anything but we get on really well, are really similar and I fancy the pants off him. I have been single for a while and really thought this weekend something might happen between us. Don't really know what I expect people to say but just wanted to tell someone because I feel a bit dumb for thinking he might like me

PramFaceMum Mon 11-Apr-16 14:17:38

Oh and I've name changed for this because a few friends know my username and don't want them all knowing what a loser I am grin

pictish Mon 11-Apr-16 14:21:36

Aw no - have a sympathetic hug. What a blow. I'm so sorry. It's not a reflection on you at all you realise? I understand though - it's an ouchie.

Buzzardbird Mon 11-Apr-16 14:23:02

Oh crap, time to find out if he has any single friends?

I'd cancel that meet up, not sure if it will do you any good listening to him going on about his new woman.

pictish Mon 11-Apr-16 14:31:08

I'd cancel too - for now. Just phone him up and be all breezy-like about a prior appointment you overlooked or something. But don't actually say "I'm breezy" like Monica did in Friends. It negates the breeziness. wink

RealityCheque Mon 11-Apr-16 14:56:58

You snooze, You lose!

And that, ladies, is why you shouldn't fuck about. If you fancy someone, then do something about it. hmm

PramFaceMum Mon 11-Apr-16 15:10:45

Ye I think I will cancel, I've already brought a new outfit so I think I'll see if one of my girl friends is up for a night out instead.

It's not even that I was hugely bothered by him, we just get on brilliantly so I was looking forward to seeing him anyway and having a snog. It was never going be a relationship because we live in different towns but I thought maybe we could have a bit of fun blush
Ah well, thats life. Thanks for the replies, you've made me feel better! I'll go away and lick my wounds for now and meet him for a coffee once he's out of the honeymoon phase.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now