Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

what do men want (and don't want. ) to see on a dating profile

(7 Posts)
Tigger2016 Sat 26-Mar-16 16:44:51

Probably should've amended the title - post open to either sex

Cabrinha Sat 26-Mar-16 16:50:54

Not a man, but dated men I met on line. The one comment that was made over and over again: realistic in date photographs!

One guy I spoke to had to call his date stood in the pub meeting place, because he couldn't recognise her - there were only 3 women alone in the place. She admitted the photo was TEN years old - also different hair colour / length and she was much bigger. He had no issue with the weight she was, every issue with just thinking "wtf? You're totally different!"

The one comment I got a lot on my own profile was that I sounded really honest. I have no idea what that actually means!

Trills Sat 26-Mar-16 17:06:22

Anything that is likely to be a hard line with someone - make sure they know about it before you both waste your time talking.

I'll second photos that actually look like you. Ideally including one that is full length, not only head shots.

If you have children - mention it.

If you smoke - mention it.

Beyond that it'll depend on what they are looking for and also what you are like.

pocketsaviour Sat 26-Mar-16 17:22:23

Talk positively. Say what you DO want instead of what you DON'T.

EG "I've been lied to and cheated on too many times" can come across like you're either a jaded, battle-scarred cynic, or a wounded bird in need of saving. Instead phrase it "I'm looking for someone who's honest and loyal."

Backtoblackcoffee Sat 26-Mar-16 17:23:55

No socks or pants.

TheNaze73 Sat 26-Mar-16 17:31:18

Something smiley, light hearted, within the last 10 years, not taking themselves too seriously & not with it all hanging out!

StillAwakeAndItIsLate Sat 26-Mar-16 18:05:30

The one comment I got from everyone I met was that my profile was a really accurate reflection of who I am. And it came across as honest to read, apparently.

I had 3 photos: one that had no make up; one where I'd made a bit of an effort and one of me doing a hobby so that they could see I was being truthful about that.

I didn't say much about what I wanted, more about what I offered and I figured that the sort of man who was interested in me would be the sort of man I was interested in. It was confident, lighthearted and fun. I wasn't sexy, or flirty, or saucy or suggestive in anyway.

Oh and I instantly dismissed any man who had selected "sweet spot not on the list" as his best feature or "school of life" as his education.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now