Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Advice how to help gay friend in an abusive relationship? 

(5 Posts)
dakin1 Fri 25-Mar-16 15:11:00

My friend has been with his partner (boyfriend) for 10 years. The boyfriend constantly puts him down in public and bullies him emotionally. They don't live together and sometime his boyfriend doesn't contact him for weeks on end. My friend's self esteem is so low and he is adamant he will never end the relationship.. Has anyone been in a similar situation and have advice how I can help? I hate seeing my friend so downtrodden. 

mum2mum99 Fri 25-Mar-16 15:30:11

It is not easy for people in violent relationship to admit what is going on and to . Sometimes it can take years. They are brainwashed very single day. You can contact Broken rainbow which deals with domestic violence in gay relationship to see how you can help him: 0300 999 5428. if he is brave enough maybe he can contact them too. That's great that you are here for him.

mum2mum99 Fri 25-Mar-16 15:31:20

I meant to write: to admit what is going on and to leave.

EssentialHummus Fri 25-Mar-16 15:38:48

I also came on to recommend Broken Rainbow smile. I came across them in odd circumstances a few years ago, and they really do great work.

dakin1 Fri 25-Mar-16 16:32:28

Thank you so much, I hadn't heard of broken Rainbow will check it out. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now