Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Is this possible financially?

(3 Posts)
workingonitagain Thu 24-Mar-16 21:37:21

I thought i'd come out with the simple but tough financial questions.
Im desperately planning to seperate but wanted to know if I actually can do this,
Dp earns around 60K basic and last year he earned about 80K bonus
We are not married. Have 3dc and a shared house im a ShAM youngest child is 3. I have no family to help.
Could some of you who have been through this enlightened me as to how much i can expect from him. Looking at government calculatur very little!

cheapskatemum Thu 24-Mar-16 21:51:00

Maybe try posting this on Legal Matters as it's quite a specific question? Best of luck, your life must be very stressful at the moment with three young DC and a partner who you're desperate to separate from.

littleleftie Thu 24-Mar-16 21:54:06

You need legal advice.

A rough calculation would say that if you can prove that last years pay was standard, likely to occur again this year, and not a one off, that would mean his net monthly pay is around £7k and so with three DC you would get 20% of that (£1400) each month so long as you did lions share of overnights.

However, if he can persuade courts that his £60k basic is all he can rely on, you are looking at around £3.5k take home, and so 20% of that is £700 per month.

If you were married you would be in a far stronger position financially as he might have to pay spousal maintenance too. If he wants to split childcare 50/50 you will get nothing probably.

I recommend you get legal advice and take it from there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now