Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

"Accept your husband will cheat and when it comes to money leave it to the man"

(38 Posts)
HelenaDove Mon 21-Mar-16 01:48:58

So says actor Edward Fox allegedly Men need to cheat he allegedly said Women arent made the same way. "im glad im not a young man in todays world" he said allegedly.

Reading this i didnt know whether to laugh at him or cry at first.

Ive opted to laugh at the old dinosaur, Assuming he said this and the Mail arent making it up.

www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3501945/SEBASTIAN-SHAKESPEARE-Accept-husband-cheat-warns-Fox-comes-money-Leave-men.html

HelenaDove Mon 21-Mar-16 01:50:11

Im a fan of his kids though Emilia is fab in Silent Witness. And Freddie was fucking astounding in Cucumber.

Millionsmom Mon 21-Mar-16 02:03:13

I just looked at the pic of him and his wife and thought ' you poor woman'. I didn't read the article.

geekymommy Mon 21-Mar-16 03:56:35

If men are made to cheat but women aren't, and the number of men and women is close to equal, then who are these men cheating with? Each other? That does happen, but I don't think it's the usual scenario.

hesterton Mon 21-Mar-16 04:00:57

Hmm accept cheating and his financial control? What could possibly go wrong there?

HazyMazy Mon 21-Mar-16 07:01:03

The DM put this kind of stuff so people like us click on it in horror. We should ignore.

I don't think he is such a great actor - pretty stiff and wooden and that is the parts he was always cast in - nothing more interesting iirc.

tribpot Mon 21-Mar-16 07:12:28

Yes, I refuse to click on the link and give the DM the page hit. However, one would think that if all men cheat it would make more sense to have control of the finances so you are in a stronger position when he inevitably tries to trade you in for a younger model? Or is he not supposed to do that as long as you turn a blind eye to the cheating? Why take the risk? Logic fail in the DM? I can scarce believe it.

SqueegyBeckinheim Mon 21-Mar-16 07:21:32

He's a deeply unpleasant man, and I say that from personal experience of working with him a few years back.

I was part of the crew of a play he was in, fortunately my job didn't really bring me into contact with him frequently. During his time in the show he was having a blatant affair with one of the actresses, who he treated very badly. Allegedly she became pregnant by him and he pressured her into an abortion.

A good example of his general arseholeness is this. On world AIDS day we always did a bucket collection at the end of the show. Traditionally the leading actor would step forward after the curtain call to give a little speech about world AIDS day to explain what the collection was for. Edward was asked to do the speech that year, his reply? "No, I don't do things for the gays."

WellWhoKnew Mon 21-Mar-16 09:25:55

Proof, were it ever needed, that not all dinosaurs are extinct.

Sadly.

PoundingTheStreets Mon 21-Mar-16 16:53:34

The only people who would take him seriously are others who think like him already. Who takes relationship advice from an actor?

Relationship longevity is in no way a measure of its happiness.

pointythings Mon 21-Mar-16 17:01:36

He's a twat.

FWIW though you'd be surprised at the people who do think like this. My DM is one of them, at least in terms of cheating. We had that discussion 4 years or so ago, along the lines of 'what would you do if he cheated?' She said 'I would try to win him back'. I said 'I'd serve him his balls on a silver platter'. (This with DH sitting beside me, and he agreed with me). She was shocked.

HelenaDove Mon 21-Mar-16 17:18:48

Squeegy that is mind blowingly awful.. With that attitude im willing to bet there are quite a few in the acting fraternity who dont get along with him.

Dumdedumdedum Mon 21-Mar-16 17:43:23

Not sure if the Torygraph is as bad for those who don't want to click the Mail? I can't believe Joanna David, an excellent actress in her own right, has been willing to put up with this for 45 years - but maybe she does her own thing, too, discreetly?
I vaguely remember meeting his brother, James, the father of Laurence, in a pub once. He seemed quite charming.

Mummamayhem Mon 21-Mar-16 17:47:32

It's a shame they didn't consider to give his wife an opportunity to respond.

HelenaDove Mon 21-Mar-16 17:59:04

Dum you often find that men with that attitude have a completely different view when a woman cheats.

BillBrysonsBeard Mon 21-Mar-16 18:14:14

Awful... Fine if that works for him and his wife, but stop applying it to your entire gender! I do think there are many men like this, more so in other countries than here and particularly in showbiz. But absolutely not all men. I don't know any men like this.
I also hate the way he says women aren't like this. So he's alright to do it but he will judge women for it? Hypocrisy is one thing I hate in life angry
Yes it's normal to feel attracted to other people but we don't all want to act on it.

plantsitter Mon 21-Mar-16 18:16:22

I bet he's glad he's not a young man in today's world! I'm glad I'm not a woman in his world when he was a young man... that's kind of the point...

Owllady Mon 21-Mar-16 18:20:56

Misogynistic dinosaur

iklboo Mon 21-Mar-16 18:24:59

Jesus if I left the finances to DH we'd be money poor but Lego rich hmm

MadamDeathstare Mon 21-Mar-16 18:25:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheCometAndLittleLegend Mon 21-Mar-16 19:00:06

Iklboo grin

KERALA1 Mon 21-Mar-16 19:16:38

Poor emilia imagine your father coming out with stuff like this publicly - shudder

Mag314s Mon 21-Mar-16 19:19:58

Wow. Id kill my dad if he came out with that

HelenaDove Mon 21-Mar-16 19:39:14

YY KERALA Bloody embarrassing.

MamaMary Mon 21-Mar-16 20:17:39

Thankfully the comments on the Daily Mail article are giving him short shrift.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now