Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Do people often try to change history so that they are right?

(5 Posts)
onthestraightandnarrow Sun 20-Mar-16 12:55:46

Is this something that everyone does and i just haven't noticed it, or is my friend (possibly soon to be ex friend) odd.

Frequently she will say something and then later when she says or does something contradictory she denies every having said the first thing and tries to make me doubt my own memory. For example, and these are trivial things but they add up, she's told me she really likes cycling in cold weather and then a couple of months later said she can't come out because she hates cycling in cold weather, she really liked a new colleague then started denying that she'd ever liked her (actually this has happened with a few people), she definitely wasn't going to an event and then when i turned up there she was, or she'll say i always do 'x' except always means only when it suits her.

Of course people change their minds but instead of saying oh yeah I've had a change of heart because of blah blah blah, she will say no you're getting it wrong, I never said that. Occasionally i challenge her but it just becomes her word against mine. She has been a good friend to me in the past, and I've got quite a small circle of friends in my local area anyway, so I'm not sure whether I'm putting up with more than i should or whether I should just let it go and except that we have different perceptions of the world.

Chocolatteaddict1 Sun 20-Mar-16 12:59:38

Basically you friend just chats shit. What comes out of her mouth is just noise that she isn't really paying attention to.

I have a friend like this and I don't take much notice.

However if she started lying to cover up big issues I'd just distance myself from her.

Pandora2016 Sun 20-Mar-16 13:08:21

Sounds like a teenager.

I quite like teenagers; I taught them for a bit and many were lovely people and full of energy and life.

Not sure as an adult woman I'd want them as close friends though.

biddy53 Sun 20-Mar-16 13:13:26

Yes - I've known several people like this.. I'd be wary -I've also found that such people actually seem to believe their own lies.

MadeMan Sun 20-Mar-16 13:23:32

When I was younger, I worked with somebody who had a habit of adopting other people's experiences and stories as their own and would then later retell them as if it had happened to them personally. I'd be listening and thinking, "But that didn't happen to you, it happened to Joe Bloggs; you weren't even there."

Very strange; it must be a form of mental illness surely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now