Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Why would a man lie about his age?

(17 Posts)
imnewtothis Thu 17-Mar-16 18:58:37

Just as the title says really. Met a lovely guy recently through a social club I frequent. I am 28. He said he was 30. Turns out he is more likely 35.

Just wondered what type of motivations a man would have to lie about his age. My ex was a compulsive and appeared to be able to lie very easily. Keen to avoid another one of those, but don't want to over react.

VoyageOfDad Thu 17-Mar-16 19:00:39

Perhaps he's fallen in love with you and is paranoid about the age gap.

Taghain Thu 17-Mar-16 19:02:52

He thought you looked younger & thought you'd disappear if you knew his real age. Don't worry about it

FreeSpirit89 Thu 17-Mar-16 19:04:07

Ask him?

Could be any number of reasons, age gap.

LaceyLee Thu 17-Mar-16 19:07:00

Happened to me once, I was 27 I think and he said he was 34 but was actually 37. He thought he was too old for me so panicked a bit and lied but told me the next time I saw him. I thought it was pretty silly but he was a very genuine person otherwise so I wasn't overly bothered (although the relationship didn't last in the end).

imnewtothis Thu 17-Mar-16 19:10:17

Ok good to hear these responses.

I am just overly sensitive due to my ex and his lying ways.

For further information, been seeing him casually for 3 month and he hasn't come clean. I found out his real age via a mutual friend we never knew we had.

DelphiniumBlue Thu 17-Mar-16 19:10:30

He's a liar. Steer clear. If you are 28, there's no good reason why he can't admit to being 35.
If he's lying over a fairly small age gap because he thinks its what you'll want to hear, how does that suggest he'll behave in the future? You are not overreacting. He's a liar, and will say wjhat he wants to get what he wants.

mrsnoon Thu 17-Mar-16 19:10:36

My OH wouldn't tell me his age when we first met, I remember him sighing as he finally gave in and told me (9years older) and the relief on his face when I said it didn't bother me at all. So probably just that but ask him and see how he reacts.

LaceyLee Thu 17-Mar-16 19:12:45

The fact that it's been 3 months and he hasn't come clean would bother me though.

imnewtothis Thu 17-Mar-16 19:23:18

Thanks

My personal experience is that people who seem to be able to lie very easily (and quickly) cannot be trusted. Also more likely to be calculating.

NashvilleQueen Thu 17-Mar-16 19:26:47

For the same reason as a woman would? I do know a woman who knocked 4 years or so off her OLD profile. She did tell them pretty quickly after they met up tho.

mudandmayhem01 Thu 17-Mar-16 19:29:15

I thought you meant he told you as soon as you met in real life, 3 months very suspicious behaviour.

MariaV0nTrapp Thu 17-Mar-16 19:37:06

My mum was 32 when she met my stepdad. He told her he was 30 because she had been going on about how she hates younger men and wouldn't date a guy in his 20s again. He was infact 25 and in big trouble when she found out. They're still together though and married over 25 years later so it's a good job he did really.

Shesinfashion Thu 17-Mar-16 20:34:10

I dated a man who said he was 35. I was 27 at the time. He finally fessed up to actually being 43. I imagine he did it to lessen the age gap. Told me a few weeks in. Too old for me and he was swiftly dumped.

QwertyQueen Thu 17-Mar-16 20:41:29

I have experienced this a few times recently.
Each time I lose interest straight away as I think there is nothing more unappealing than being so unconfident in yourself.
The last time I was talking to this guy who said he was 38. I thought he was a bit young for me (I am 43) but we got along…. eventually after a while he told me he was actually 45.
I was shocked as I would have preferred talking to a 45 year old.
He eventually admitted it is because he thinks people expect men of his age to be more established - own property, have a "couple of" ex-wives, career etc…
Again I just thought "yuck"… it is tough dating when you are a 43 year old woman but I would never dream of lying about my age.

imnewtothis Fri 18-Mar-16 09:08:04

He eventually admitted it is because he thinks people expect men of his age to be more established - own property, have a "couple of" ex-wives, career etc

I think this could be it in my case. And I think you are right re them being maybe not so confident? Not a sin in itself, but not ideal either...

PanGalaticGargleBlaster Fri 18-Mar-16 10:02:56

I imagine the same reason women over 40 bullshit about their age on their online dating profiles, to make themselves a more attractive prospect to a potential partner while believing that when eventually they get found out the other person by that stage will be so besotted with you the age gap bcomes irrelevant. Well that's the theory at least!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now