Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Ex DP and I went out last night

(5 Posts)
MissTessmacher Fri 04-Mar-16 18:13:35

and had a great time.

He asked me for the first time (he moved out 10 weeks ago) how I felt about it and I said I was happy, much happier than before. He said the same. We toasted and then went for a burger and went home.

It was just the end of the road for us (with some sporadic unpleasantness throughout and especially towards the end) DD(7) came close to seeing/hearing things she really shouldn't. That was my final straw. She's taken everything in her stride, is happier at home and loves going to her dad's.

I'm just feeling proud of us and although we have a long road ahead I just want to put it out there that splitting/separating doesn't always have to be horribly painful and messy.

wine for all the people who've given me advice over the years (and name changes) and have helped me finally rip off the bandaid.

maxoverload Fri 04-Mar-16 19:16:02

thats great news. it really doesnt always have to be messy and painful. me and my ex get on brilliant. we split when dd was 1. shes 5 now and me and her df have always been friends. we didnt work as a couple but as friends we do.

MissTessmacher Fri 04-Mar-16 20:15:31

Yeah that's it. To be honest it was fairly easy to transition to being friends as I hadn't really felt romantic towards him for the last year or so. He's my best friend but we just weren't working as a couple anymore. 14 years, we had changed so much as people.

Anyway, the DC go to his tomorrow morning and I am excited to have some free time! That's something else I'm really loving.

Joysmum Fri 04-Mar-16 20:26:49

Same for my parents. I won't lie, despite it being the right thing the process to divorce was difficult and painful for them both.

Best thing they ever did though. They are best mates as well as still very much family, but more brother sister.

Toomuchinfo1 Sat 05-Mar-16 18:06:21

Love reading this. My parents kept it amicable & are still really good friends. Im 32 & they split up when I was 13. We all (mum, dad, me & bro) go out for meals etc & I love our little family xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now