Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What happens when you report for dv

(5 Posts)
DoBananasWearPajamas Tue 01-Mar-16 13:11:19

That's it really, when you report them for DV (the partner) and show evidence of it

What happens next?

SuperLoveFuzz Tue 01-Mar-16 13:16:47

When I reported it in the past, the police attended, my partner was arrested, I gave a statement at home and the police photographed my bruises later that same day at a police station. It was difficult and I was very upset and I stupidly did take him back afterwards (now apart after further incidents). However, due to the evidence it did result in a conviction and criminal record which I am glad of now. I think the process might be a bit different elsewhere though. I'm in Scotland. Please keep posting for support, it will help a lot. Sorry you're going through this xx

Marchate Tue 01-Mar-16 13:16:59

He denies it, I guess

You are entitled to be taken seriously by the police. Is he with you? Are you in further danger? Have you spoken to Women's Aid?

PoundingTheStreets Tue 01-Mar-16 13:20:46

Depends on the circumstances. When you say report, do you mean to the police? If so, an officer will contact you. If you have evidence, they will want to see it. They may also want a statement or video interview with you, if you're willing, or they may film you on body-camera when you meet them. Thy can come to the house or you can go the police station, or meet somewhere else entirely.

The police are suppose to take positive action. That doesn't necessarily mean arresting the person responsible (though that's usually what happens if an allegation of assault has been made), but it will mean that at the least the parties should be separated. The accused person will normally need to be interviewed about the offence, which can sometimes happen on a voluntary basis but more often happens after arrest.

In cases of DV, the police can pursue what is called a victimless prosecution, which means they can carry on with the investigation, and take it to court (if there is enough evidence), even if the victim doesn't want to co-operate. That decision will be up to the Crown Prosecution Service when the police present them with all the evidence.

There are also other options available, such as Domestic Violence Protection Notices/orders in which the police can insist the perpetrator stays away from the family home for a set period of time. Violating this is an offence in its own right.

If there are children involved, the police will also consider safeguarding steps, but unless they have reason to believe the victim will not or cannot take steps to protect the child, this should be seen very much as a supporting step, not a 'being dobbed into SS' step - it is meant to help.

Hope that answers some of your questions. I hope you are ok. flowers

DoBananasWearPajamas Tue 01-Mar-16 13:26:20

Thank you all for your kind words, (I love Mumsnet) it's not actually me that's going through this, but my friend, and I'm just trying to make sure that I know as much as I can to help her when she needs it.

Thank you again from the bottom of my heart ♥

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now