Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

whether to add fiancé to deeds of house

(93 Posts)
hilbil21 Tue 16-Feb-16 20:58:31

Another thread has prompted me to post and just wondering what you guys think is for the best.

My mum passed away last year and I have inherited her house on which the mortgage is fully paid off.

My fiancé, 11 month old son and myself have moved in and fiancé is paying to decorate etc and also pays all bills as I don't work.

Am I being fair not having him on the deeds??

PurpleDaisies Tue 16-Feb-16 20:59:56

Are you both happy with the situation? I'm not in the seeds to our house (we are married) but I'm not worried. When wec I've the new house will be in both our names.

PurpleDaisies Tue 16-Feb-16 21:01:35

I don't know what's gobs wrong with my autocorrect lately-when we move the house will be in both our names.

lighteningirl Tue 16-Feb-16 21:02:17

I wouldn't sorry but I just wouldn't once your married it won't really matter whether or not he's on the deeds. Go and see a solicitor and you can talk thru all the options in a non emotional way.

CallieTorres Tue 16-Feb-16 21:02:22

why dont you do it when you get married? then you are protected if it doesnt work out? (which i'm sure it will)

hilbil21 Tue 16-Feb-16 21:04:02

Yeah you're right solicitor probably the best way to go. My thinking is if marriage didn't work and we were both on the deeds, then if we split - I would have no way of buying him out and could lose the house my mum and dad left me in a great position with? If that makes sense X

Bragadocia Tue 16-Feb-16 21:04:50

What does your fiancé feel about it? Yes, he's making all the financial contribution to the relationship, but that's what happens when one of you becomes a SAHP. On the bright side, his wage only needs to cover bills - not paying rent or mortgage is a great position to be in when there is only one earner.

hilbil21 Tue 16-Feb-16 21:06:18

He's happy with it. It's me that thinks he's getting a raw deal somehow X

Flanks Tue 16-Feb-16 21:11:27

Leave it as it is. Make your will clear that should you still be married and predecease him then he receives the marital assets as per usual.

Aside from any sort of 'feeling better about it' things, I fail to see a reason to change the deeds at all. It is a lawyer fee for no actual change in circumstances. If there is a mortgage on the house, or an application in the future, then it becomes more complicated with two people unless you need to combine your incomes for the application.

peggyundercrackers Tue 16-Feb-16 21:24:05

Surely if you get married the house will become a marital asset which he will be entitled to anyway... Unless you sign some kind of pre-nun.

Yseulte Tue 16-Feb-16 21:27:46

What Peggy said.

tribpot Tue 16-Feb-16 21:28:25

Yes you need to talk to a solicitor if you want to exclude the house from becoming a marital asset. I think a frank discussion about money is probably overdue.

hilbil21 Tue 16-Feb-16 21:28:48

Peggy if that's the case (I'm pretty clueless as didn't expect to be in this position!) then I will just deal with it as normal X

tingon Tue 16-Feb-16 21:44:20

OP, your mum has given you a wonderful safety net, protect it wisely.

Some legal advice would be sensible before you marry.

hilbil21 Tue 16-Feb-16 21:48:32

Tingon her estate is currently with the lawyers. Think when I go in to sign final papers I will arrange an appointment to discuss this. X

magoria Tue 16-Feb-16 22:15:10

Can you and your DP get a document drawn up so that he has a right to stay in the property but it passes to any of your DC if you die in the next 5 years or so?

You can always change this at a later date if you agree. Or if you move the new home becomes a marital asset?

Offred Tue 16-Feb-16 22:21:24

You need to speak to a solicitor. You need a prenup pre marriage and advice re whether him doing work on the house gives him a beneficial interest.

hilbil21 Tue 16-Feb-16 22:23:18

Solicitor it is. Thanks everyone X

Offred Tue 16-Feb-16 22:23:42

I do think though you should think about what would be fair, you want him to lose his home and any claim on it if you divorce but he will still need to contribute his part (financial support) seeing as you are a SAHM... It's a bit mean spirited but I can understand you feelings about your mum's legacy.

hilbil21 Tue 16-Feb-16 22:32:42

That's the thing offred I'm totally torn. It feels unfair but I would hate to lose what my mum and dad worked for. He is living here "rent" free I guess X

Allalonenow Tue 16-Feb-16 22:34:29

Protect the property your mother left you, which will be a valuable asset for the rest of your life, something that cannot always be said of the man in your life.

Familylawsolicitor Tue 16-Feb-16 22:39:28

Protect it! Get advice on a pre nup which although not 100 per cent guaranteed can be upheld if certain preconditions are met. From a family (divorce) lawyer not your probate lawyer as they may not be experienced in both areas

WhoaCadburys Tue 16-Feb-16 23:49:18

'I don't know what's gobs wrong with my autocorrect lately' grin <misses point>

TheNaze73 Tue 16-Feb-16 23:51:49

hilbil21 I would feel like you do as he's paying for everything

Keeptrudging Wed 17-Feb-16 00:06:13

He's not paying any rent/mortgage though. Could he set up a savings account and put the equivalent amount in there so he has his own security?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now