Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

To have walked out of a film as friend was sleeping through it

(86 Posts)
maketheworldgoaway Sun 07-Feb-16 14:49:30

I was a bit unreasonable but I'm handing this over to the MN jury.

I've been friends with my BF for 20 years. There are lots of lovely things about him but sometimes I feel I'm in a controlling relationship!.

Back a few months ago he told me he thought my world is a bit small and there are lots of things he'd like to do with me that I say no to. This is true. There are lots of things he's suggested that I have no interest in but we see each other at least once a week anyway.

I was upset at the time but then thought maybe I should be more open minded and spontaneous so this year I've made an effort to say yes to more invitations.

We had dinner on Monday and he asked me to see a film today with him and his partner. I had no interest in seeing the film but he said his partner really wanted to see it and really wanted me to come so I agreed.

Today we went for brunch in the venue he wanted at the time he wanted even though I told him it would be difficult for me to get there at that time.

When we walked into the cinema his partner said 'I hope you enjoy the film because I'm not a fan'. Turned out friend had told me and his partner that the other really wanted to go and wanted the other to come.

I felt really pissed off at being manipulated but didn't want to cause a scene so went into the film. Friend fell asleep straight away and after 30 mins watching a shit film with him asleep I couldn't be arsed to watch the rest so woke him up and said I was leaving. I wasn't angry and I gave him a kiss and quietly left.

I sent a text after apologising for being rude but said I was bored and he was asleep so I wanted to leave.

He's now ignoring my texts and calls and I feel that yes I was rude but not as rude as him!.

Who's U here?.

brummiesue Sun 07-Feb-16 14:52:15

I wouldn't have bothered waking him, would have just left, he's clearly an incredibly selfish individual

IguanaTail Sun 07-Feb-16 14:52:41

Both of you. He is unreasonable and you should have prodded him awake and told him you were going.

bornwithaplasticspoon Sun 07-Feb-16 14:52:49

YANBU. He doesn't sound like much of a friend to me.

Whycantweallgetalong Sun 07-Feb-16 14:53:30

I really want to know now (sorry!), is it the same shit film I fell asleep, 'Dirty grandpa' by any chance?

gamerchick Sun 07-Feb-16 14:53:51

I wouldn't have woken him up to let him know.

Do you get anything out of being his friend? It sounds like a lot of work. Let him stew.

Sparkletastic Sun 07-Feb-16 14:54:13

He sounds high maintenance. I'd leave him to stew and cool off the friendship for a while.

llhj Sun 07-Feb-16 14:54:46

Bizarre relationship you seem to have there. I don't really get the dynamic.

NuggetofPurestGreen Sun 07-Feb-16 14:54:56

she did do that iguana

DoreenLethal Sun 07-Feb-16 14:56:11

you should have prodded him awake and told him you were going.

She did. Read the words.

I'd give him a wide berth - he sounds a bit controlly.

acasualobserver Sun 07-Feb-16 14:58:02

It sounds as though you have become a bit disenchanted with the friendship anyway.

HackerFucker22 Sun 07-Feb-16 15:00:31

I don't get the relationship dynamic either.

Why did you wake the friend? Why not just tell his partner? Was s/he asleep too?

Weird for start to end in my eyes.... I just don't get why you'd agree to go to a film you don't want to see if you knew he had company?

Oldraver Sun 07-Feb-16 15:02:36

I'd of grabbed the partner and gone off to do something you both wanted to do together and left him sleeping.

Sounds like the partner is being manipulated as well

lunar1 Sun 07-Feb-16 15:03:17

I think you are both clinging to a friendship that isn't really there anymore.

maketheworldgoaway Sun 07-Feb-16 15:05:38

It is a weird dynamic but it always had been.

I said yes when I knew he had company as he said his partner really wanted me to go and how important it is to him that me and his partner get to know each other and do things together. 'You're the two most important people in my life, I really want you to have a relationship' kind of thing.

MajesticWhine Sun 07-Feb-16 15:07:06

He is unreasonable. You did nothing wrong. Just let it go, and don't make any further effort to dance to his tune.

diddl Sun 07-Feb-16 15:07:41

You should have walked out when you realised thatthe friend also wasn't interested in the film!

Whycantweallgetalong Sun 07-Feb-16 15:13:20

OP, please can you say which film it was? <misses point of thread>

EponasWildDaughter Sun 07-Feb-16 15:16:52

In the light of this - friend had told me and his partner that the other really wanted to go and wanted the other to come.

I wouldn't believe this - he said his partner really wanted me to go and how important it is to him that me and his partner get to know each other

He's very manipulative. I'd be putting some distance between you personally. Sounds like it's all too much trouble.

Clutterbugsmum Sun 07-Feb-16 15:16:53

I wouldn't have bother to wake him, I'd have just left.

ImperialBlether Sun 07-Feb-16 15:17:42

I wouldn't have apologised and I wouldn't have woken him, either. He's a manipulative bully and I wouldn't consider him to be a friend of mine.

And yes, which film?!

mrsfuzzy Sun 07-Feb-16 15:20:54

certainly won't be 'triple 9' trailer is horrible. shock
i'd cut loose with this so called 'b'f.

MajesticWhine Sun 07-Feb-16 15:22:55

There are some piss-poor films out at the moment. My money's on The Good Dinosaur.

thelifeofamber Sun 07-Feb-16 15:23:27

People are going to say its weird because hes male and you're female.

I have a male best friend, and he has a girlfriend.

The three of us have been shopping together and got lunch.

I personally really wanted to do that as I didn't want her to think for a second that me and him secretly like each other. Which would put him in an awkward position and our friendship might fall apart.

Maybe he was doing the same ... but I probably wouldn't go to the cinema with them, as its not social.

I'm not sure if you were rude or to be honest.

What did you say to his partner?

maketheworldgoaway Sun 07-Feb-16 15:25:12

I'm almost certain he doesn't MN because the post and the film will certainly out me but it was Dads fecking army.

Apparently his partners distant relation was in the original series which is why they wanted to watch it. Though that's probably a lie since partner said they were only seeing it because apparently I wanted to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now