Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

I cried when I read my son's birthday card

(21 Posts)
Iloveyoutilltheend Fri 29-Jan-16 17:35:46

Yes today is the day. He and I have had a rough ish ride through life with th first years of his life discoloured with an EA father now thankfully long long gone. I know he is my son and the only thing I have left on earth but he is such a kind and loving young man (19 now-where did the years go?) He is shy and doesn't normally say stuff like this but said on his card to me "everything I am and will be is because of you". We went through such awful awful times together never thought they would end so please please please if you are like I was 15 years ago just hang on. I don't lobe being older but I do love knowing I've made a difference xx

Grammar Fri 29-Jan-16 17:38:38

there's nothing like that.. I applaud your parenting and rejoice in your relationship.

Wonderful! Both you and DS.

Happy Birthday. flowers wine

MackerelOfFact Fri 29-Jan-16 17:41:00

Oh gosh, I welled up at that and he's not even my DS.

You've done an amazing job. Congratulations and happy birthday. flowers

timelytess Fri 29-Jan-16 17:42:14

Well done!

My daughter is 33. We were alone together from her being four. She still speaks to me. I consider that a win. grin Sometimes we think about how far we've come, how hard we worked to change our circumstances, and how she has used all her opportunities very wisely. I'm proud of her.

You have raised a fine son who knows what you did for him. Well done indeed.

usual Fri 29-Jan-16 17:43:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mrskeats Fri 29-Jan-16 17:44:42

So lovely
You must be so proud of him ( I was a single parent for 7 years so know how hard it is)
Well done on raising a lovely young man
Happy birthday cake

Grammar Fri 29-Jan-16 17:49:39

I must remember this thread as I am struggling with mine. Hurray...this caught my attention. I'm so happy for you this gives me hope for me in the future

toastedbagel Fri 29-Jan-16 17:55:11

What absolutely beautiful words. Congratulations OP on raising a wonderful son.
Well done on sending encouragement to others who maybe going through a tough time.
Happy birthdayflowers

Branleuse Fri 29-Jan-16 17:59:03

that just made me cry <3

spanky2 Fri 29-Jan-16 18:00:48

I needed something good today. Thank you that was lovely.

Shakey15000 Fri 29-Jan-16 18:04:19

Aw such lovely words.

Dreamqueen Fri 29-Jan-16 18:18:06

What a beautiful thing to write. You must be so pround of your son & the man you brought him up to be.
Happy birthday flowers

Iloveyoutilltheend Fri 29-Jan-16 18:23:08

I didn't do anything. We grew up (together) in a council maisonette but there were good (mostly older) people around and they took him in when my ex cleared off. I mean the old lady he would go to when I was still working and he had finished school. I used to think what a crap mother I was but he says he learned the most from the hard times. It is bloody hard raising someone buy by God is it worth it

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Fri 29-Jan-16 18:25:23

Awwww
I hope my son still loves me when he's a teenager!

BonitaFangita Fri 29-Jan-16 18:29:25

I think there must be some onion slicing ninjas in the room. That's a beautiful message, what a lovely son you have.
My mum raise me alone and I feel exactly the same way about her, the bond we have is unique, and especially since becoming a mother myself, I'm so proud that she did such a great job under such difficult circumstances.
We done OP it looks like your hard work was well worth it, I hope you have a great birthday flowers

MrsFring Fri 29-Jan-16 18:33:53

OP, you've made my day. As someone locked in mortal combat with my bolshy teenage boy you've given me hope. Beautiful.

Iloveyoutilltheend Fri 29-Jan-16 18:51:49

The thing is as they say the darkest hour os before the dawn. We went through utter awfulness together 18 months ago maybe. But I always knew I loved him and he loved me.

AlwaysHopeful1 Fri 29-Jan-16 18:58:46

What a lovely son you've raised and well done to you thanks hope you have a great birthdaysmile

summerwinterton Fri 29-Jan-16 19:01:32

Having a similar aged teen in the same circumstances these good bits make all the shite times worthwhile. Good for you OP - you did an amazing job. I do hope you feel proud x

ClashCityRocker Fri 29-Jan-16 19:03:22

Sounds like you've raised a lovely young man. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now