Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

His family thought he was gay

(26 Posts)
NervyNualaaa Wed 13-Jan-16 19:38:54

Drunken confession from him on first date. Was said jokingly because he is mid twenties but not yet brought a girl home. He's really nice but I thought it was an odd thing to say! Am I being silly...?

Talcumsoul Wed 13-Jan-16 19:43:20

Yep.

WickedWax Wed 13-Jan-16 19:43:53

Yes.

RedMapleLeaf Wed 13-Jan-16 19:44:39

Yes.

NervyNualaaa Wed 13-Jan-16 19:44:46

So you don't think it's a bit weird to say that when you first meet someone, in a romantic context?!?!

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Wed 13-Jan-16 19:45:58

Not weird at all.

Just a normal jokey thing to say.

Cabrinha Wed 13-Jan-16 19:46:13

No. It's a standard type of (lame but inoffensive) joke.

RedMapleLeaf Wed 13-Jan-16 19:46:29

I don't think it's a bit weird if you're nervous.

WickedWax Wed 13-Jan-16 19:47:57

He was drunk, probably nervous, it was a joke.

FellOutOfBedTwice Wed 13-Jan-16 19:49:47

My DH said something similar. It was just because he was shy and he hadn't brought many girls home.

Aussiebean Wed 13-Jan-16 19:50:03

No. Not weird at all.

So what? Why do you think it's weird?

NervyNualaaa Wed 13-Jan-16 19:57:03

Ok I didn't think it weird at first but I told a friend who immediately said "God why would he say that?" And implied that maybe he was saying he was gay? Who knows. Glad to know its nothing to be concerned about though

SugarDiabetes Wed 13-Jan-16 20:06:47

You've posted elsewhere, too. You must be VERY WORRIED grin

BolshierAryaStark Wed 13-Jan-16 20:15:21

Not at all weird, stop overthinking it.

RustyPaperclip Wed 13-Jan-16 20:19:13

I would hazard a guess that he was probably quite nervous and trying to lighten the mood. Also, he may feel under quite a lot of pressure from his family which may have made him more nervous. Anyway, surely it only matters how you felt, you friend wasn't on the date with you (I hope!)

Cavaradossi Wed 13-Jan-16 20:21:57

I don't think so, necessarily - rather a naive remark in a deeply heterosexual 'we're supposed to be fancying one another' first date situation, maybe, but it's one of the available explanations for not having had a relationship with a woman by his mid-twenties.

FredaMayor Wed 13-Jan-16 20:27:37

It may be nothing, and I hope it is, but as they say - In Vino Veritas. Sometimes people only half joke, so this could turn out in retrospect to be a warning. I have had experience of exactly that and, even worse so has another member of my family who got together with a man who was denying his sexuality to himself, much to her (and his) long term regret.

NervyNualaaa Wed 13-Jan-16 20:33:37

Oh fuuuck I was worried someone was going to say that Freda sad

LilacSpunkMonkey Wed 13-Jan-16 20:37:54

Why two threads?

NervyNualaaa Wed 13-Jan-16 20:40:11

Sorry - was an oversight! Wanted to get chat one moved to relationships but didn't know how

pocketsaviour Wed 13-Jan-16 22:03:05

I would be more concerned about him getting drunk on a first date TBH. But perhaps that's because I'm a po-faced old cat lady who is bitter that she can't guzzle wine any more without gastric repercussions

NervyNualaaa Wed 13-Jan-16 22:04:38

We both were pocket! Shared a bottle of wine and couple of cocktails each, first date nerves on both parts i think smile

springydaffs Wed 13-Jan-16 23:46:45

Well yes, some people went out today and got hit by a bus - it happens - but most of us didn't. So the worst happened in Freda's case but to me your date's comment looks like a harmless joke.

FredaMayor Thu 14-Jan-16 11:21:52

springy, of course you have a good point, yet the thread's headline is his family thought he was gay, and they know him well its reasonable to assume? To me that seems to lower the odds that it might actually be the case which was why I responded, not to cast a cloud over OP's romance.

DrewsWife Thu 14-Jan-16 11:23:51

Not weird at all. My hubs family thought the same... 44. Only dated a couple of times... Just laugh. It was intended as an icebreaker winkgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now