Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Does anyone have any success stories of dating with 2+ DC?

(20 Posts)
IsabellaofFrance Sun 10-Jan-16 12:52:10

This is all new to me and I don't mean for any time in the forseeable future, but still.

I am 32, have been with my H since I was 16, so I haven't ever really dated anyone else, and it suddenly dawned on me last night that I might never meet anyone ever again, because I have 3 DC's, who is going to want to date me?

So please make me feel better with your stories of dating success to give me hope for the future blush

Concerned97 Sun 10-Jan-16 13:26:56

My sister has been happily married to a man with three DCs for 10 years! His ex is happy it married to a man who had no DCs and was thrilled to stepfather her three. That's two examples! X

noisytoys Sun 10-Jan-16 15:36:41

I'm marrying in summer with 2 children, one with fairly complex special needs. I have been sterilised and am open about not wanting more children. My partner is a youth worker and loves older children, he is made up with a ready made family but getting to skip the baby stage.

Tomboyinatutu Sun 10-Jan-16 15:41:24

My mum had 2 dc's and was bringing up her two neices when she met my dad. They have been happily married for 17 years grin

Offred Sun 10-Jan-16 19:49:47

I have four DCs (10, 9 and 6 y/o twins) and do not struggle at all with dating! grinwink

Didn't when I was a single mum of two either.

Offred Sun 10-Jan-16 19:50:16

I'm 31 btw so similar age.

Patheticfallacy Sun 10-Jan-16 20:56:53

I'm 35 with 3 dc. My lovely boyfriend has 1 dc and we've been together 9 months.

wonderingsoul Sun 10-Jan-16 21:02:13

30 two ds 7 and 10 been with dp a year... my boys boy are generally well behaved but thwy can be very hard work... They don't stop.. They bicker they run on pure energy I'm sure of it.

Dp fits into our lifes perfectly.

BlueBlueBelles Sun 10-Jan-16 21:05:55

I have two DC, separated from my ExH about four years before I met my DP. Nearly three years we've been together now, and amazingly happy.

floppyjogger Sun 10-Jan-16 21:13:17

I was 32 and divorced with 3 DC when I met my Dh one day at work, we've been together for 10 years now.

MirandaWest Sun 10-Jan-16 21:15:38

I'm 40 and have two DC who are 12 and 10. Been with my DP for nearly 4 years and we are getting married this summer. He has a DS who is 20.

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Sun 10-Jan-16 21:18:16

ExSIL (3 DCs) has just started seeing a lovely chap with 2.

SugarDiabetes Sun 10-Jan-16 21:23:43

I was single at 30 with 4 DCs under 6.

I never dated as much as I did then in my whole life ! I met some wonderful, wonderful men, too. I married 15 months to the day after meeting my current DH and we have DS together now.

He called us his 'Pot Noodle Family'!

PitilessYank Mon 11-Jan-16 09:35:42

Wow, it's nice to hear these stories. My dear friend growing up (still friends!) was one of two and her mother married an excellent man when the two kids were teenagers. They were married a long time, until he died. We all miss him-he was a doll.

tanyadm Mon 11-Jan-16 10:11:14

I have just (literally last night) started dating a lovely man, and I have two children, and am 36. It was a fabulous date and we are seeing each other again. LOTS of men are put off by existing children, but you find some crackers who understand that people have lives and histories, and have no issue with it.

shoeaddict83 Mon 11-Jan-16 10:57:45

im 32 and got with my partner a few years ago when he was separated and has 2 Dc's! We are very happy and definitely have a long-term future and his children did not put me off at all, they were part of him and accepted me amazingly. it can definitely work so dont fret so much, if you find the right person they will accept you with your children!

IsabellaofFrance Tue 12-Jan-16 12:15:08

Thank you. At the moment I am still massively hung up over the whole thing, but this gives me a bit of hope that the future wont be so bleak.

Mrskeats Tue 12-Jan-16 12:47:44

My partner has 2 children and I have 2
We are both 50 and the children are teenagers
50 per cent of marriages end so lots of parents must be dating

willievertrust Thu 14-Jan-16 15:44:08

i agree with shoeaddict, my partner is 5 years younger than me with no children, he has taken my two on as his own and does more for them than there own dad ever did. the children love him too! he never wanted children previously but put this down to never meeting the right person. his family treat my children as grandchildren and i couldnt ask for anything more. with regards to dating how about when the children are with dad or with relatives for the night if this is an option?? my two dont see there dad often and never overnight so i had relatives babysit in the early days and then he started coming round whilst the children are in bed. nowadays the kids do most stuff with us and i would have thought this would be a deal breaker for him but he loves it! we do have the occasional night alone though xxx

i think i fell lucky though as i met him soon after my split. it was too good to be true really! i couldnt imagine life any other way now.

IsabellaofFrance Mon 18-Jan-16 11:58:50

My Ex-H will have the children on Sunday Nights once we have moved, so this is an option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now