Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Quick advice needed!

(6 Posts)
Hecalledmecarrots Sat 09-Jan-16 13:10:48

Hello wise mumsnetters

I am in the middle of compiling a 'to do' list for my friend, who is so ground down and is going to try to leave her EA husband for once and for all (yay).

This is what's in the action plan which I've suggests she photocopy on the quiet:
b.Birth certificates, marriage certificates
c.Utility bills and council tax from the last year
d.Bank statements as far back as you can.
e.Any savings accounts, investment portfolios etc
f.Deeds to any properties or land owned
g.Any other assets you can think of
h.Tax information

I've got brain fade now - is there anything I've left out?

With many thanks for any help/advice.

Hecalledmecarrots Sat 09-Jan-16 13:14:17

I've just remembered Pension information!

And I've just copy pasted the first excellent post in Right, Listen up Everbody for her to mull over.

Anything else?

goddessofsmallthings Sat 09-Jan-16 16:05:36

Ideally your friend should take her own and the dcs passports together with marriage/birth certs with her when she leaves. Photocopies will suffice for the remaining documentation on your list.

The best advice you can give her is to make contact with her local Women's Aid branch who can help her leave safely. WA can also recommend local solicitors who are experienced in cases of emotional abuse and it would be beneficial for her to enrol on the Freedom Programme.

If your friend owns the marital home, whether outright or regardless of whether she's named on a mortgage with her h, she may be best advised to take steps to have him removed from the property as this may be less disruptive for her and the dc than starting over in rented accomodation.

Hecalledmecarrots Sat 09-Jan-16 23:04:51

Thank you so much, Goddess, I've relayed all that information to her as well.

Sadly I'm not sure that she has the right to kick him out of their home. Although they are married the house is in his name as I understand it. He would never leave of his own volition. She will be doing very well if she can quietly sneak out with the children undetected one day without him finding out beforehand.

Worrying times - I'm so anxious for her sad

Hecalledmecarrots Sat 09-Jan-16 23:08:24

Does the Relationships board have some sort of a standard 'to do' list for anyone trying to leave their partner?

If not, there should be one as a sticky at the top of the board for standard reference.

mintoil Sat 09-Jan-16 23:12:48

If she is married she needs to register her interest in the property with land Registry. See this link

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now