Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Dear Mums and Wives of the world....Help?

(51 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

penser123 Mon 04-Jan-16 17:29:49

Hi guys I equate this forum to a fount of all knowledge so can't wait to hear your much needed advice:

I just turned 32 and still haven't met Mr right. Based on your experience, what advice would you guys give a woman in my position? I'd love to have a family some day and get married. Everyone around me seems to be getting hitched and having babies and I'm really worried that I have missed the boat. In your experience , in your 30s, what's the best way to meet a great guy and what things would you advise me to keep in mind during this rather PAINS taking process? Thanks in advance for your answers guys, I know they'll be amazing.

(PS Could the advice be directed to help women particularly 'at my age'? ).

RedMapleLeaf Mon 04-Jan-16 17:34:13

What has led to you believing that this forum is so knowledgeable?

scarednoob Mon 04-Jan-16 17:48:14

32 is v young! I didn't meet DP until I was 35 and it felt as if I had been to every wedding and baby shower in the world. I would say:

Ask your friends for set-ups
Join a new group - eg rock climbing has lots of men
If you are in London, I recommend the meddler events, if I hadn't been with my OH and just there as moral support, I could have had about 6 different dates from that!

Online dating sucks hairy donkey balls, but I know loads of people who met their partners on forums - do you have an interest where you could do that? It tends to work better as you have things in common and an open forum rather than the expectations of tinder etc.

Finally, relax and enjoy. You can't rush it, so enjoy the great things about being single whilst you have them!

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Pipistrella Mon 04-Jan-16 17:54:56

penser123 Mon 04-Jan-16 18:03:15

Scarenoobs's response... ☺

cuntycowfacemonkey Mon 04-Jan-16 18:05:28

penser123 Mon 04-Jan-16 18:05:50

I'm definitely not a journalist but I'll take that as a compliment ( I think) 😉 lol

Pipistrella Mon 04-Jan-16 18:07:58

Hi again

may I ask - is English your second language?

Tiggeryoubastard Mon 04-Jan-16 18:12:00

RedMapleLeaf Mon 04-Jan-16 18:12:10

penser123 Mon 04-Jan-16 18:13:33

Erm, not the last time I checked. I only have one ☺. Lol.

WorraLiberty Mon 04-Jan-16 18:16:11

Ok well I'm not a 'guy' but perhaps get out and about and take up some hobbies?

Pipistrella Mon 04-Jan-16 18:19:09

Sorry. It's just that your style of writing is really odd - it's not as casual as most of us. And why do you say that you know our answers will be amazing? They might be terrible.

I know what it is you remind me of, it's those lovely people from the far East when you do a Microsoft livechat. They are so polite... it makes me feel most inadequate.

Your English (grammar) is also very suspect though. A fount of all knowledge? Really? And much needed advice?

Also what's with the capitals?

Arfarfanarf Mon 04-Jan-16 18:20:14

Well, mn is in the news a lot so it's not surprising someone might think to check it. As to fount of all knowledge, that sounds good. I'll take that title if no bugger else wants it grin

I suggest you give online dating a try. In my day [old gimmer] we had to trawl pubs and bars and maybe join evening classes to meet people. But that's still an option. Better to meet someone who shares an interest with you, give you lots to talk about.

You are only 32, that's really not too old. I wouldn't be panicking if I were you.

I suppose the best piece of advice I could give you is don't obsess about mr right because that is guaranteed to screw things up. Do stuff you enjoy, try stuff, go out to meet people and see what happens. As well as having a crack at the hell that is OLD it's good for a laugh if nothing else.

Newyearnewme2016 Mon 04-Jan-16 18:33:26

You sound old-fashioned, not like a modern British woman.

penser123 Mon 04-Jan-16 18:49:44

I'm certainly not old fashioned. But do tell, what are your criteria for a modern British woman?!

penser123 Mon 04-Jan-16 18:52:49

One of mine would be that she is open minded and not quick to pigeon hole people based on scanty amounts of information. But that's just one of my criteria and of course I could be wrong and waaay off the mark...

Theydontknowweknowtheyknow Mon 04-Jan-16 18:53:46

Any hooooooooo.... back to the OP.

Join lots of groups where you'll meet people naturally. If it happens great, if it doesn't just enjoy the benefits of being single.

manandbeast Mon 04-Jan-16 18:54:15

It's "font of all knowledge". A font being a vessel.

< misses the point >

penser123 Mon 04-Jan-16 18:55:57

Ta.

Arfarfanarf Mon 04-Jan-16 18:57:50

blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2013/08/poll-results/
is it?
A word fight. I love these.
Font or fount?

Penser. Any word to those of us who took the time to answer your question?

Pipistrella Mon 04-Jan-16 19:07:13

I doubt it.

Big change in tone there OP

manandbeast Mon 04-Jan-16 19:07:37

THE STANDARD FORM IS FOUNT??? I am shocked. My apologies OP.

I think work is a great place to meet the opposite sex. Once you've met someone you like I would recommend dating someone else at the same time!! It helps with obsessive over-analysis of texts and suchlike, which can mess stuff up at the start.

Pipistrella Mon 04-Jan-16 19:08:05

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now