Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

First Date - Terrified!

(128 Posts)
thehillshaveyes Fri 01-Jan-16 18:27:25

I've arranged to go on a date with a man I've been chatting to on Tinder for a few weeks. He seems nice and looks good on photos apart from the fact that he covers his mouth on most of them so I'm wondering what that's about. I'll never know unless I meet him!

It's my first date since my ex and I broke up a year ago and I'm so, so nervous! We're going for a couple of drinks which should break the ice a little. Does anyone have any first date tips?

SevenOfNineTrue Fri 01-Jan-16 18:31:17

Relax smile It is just a few drinks so have fun and if you like him, great. If not, then nothing really lost just have an exit strategy if there is no spark.

RedMapleLeaf Fri 01-Jan-16 19:01:50

Keep a little bit back about yourself, definitely don't talk about anything sad or disclose anything private.

See it as nothing more than a couple of drinks and some fun.

Hmm, I'm not very good at this. I've got a first proper date tomorrow and am feeling equally nervous grin

Ticktacktock Fri 01-Jan-16 20:08:15

I'm so envious of your first dates, it sounds so exciting!

I presume you are meeting this man in a public place, and not your place or his?

Have a fab time ladies x

Ticktacktock Fri 01-Jan-16 20:08:46

I meant not your house or his

RedMapleLeaf Fri 01-Jan-16 20:19:27

Heck,ticktacktock you can have my date if you want, I don't think I can stand the stress grin

Ticktacktock Fri 01-Jan-16 20:29:58

Yes please, I could do with a one night stand and a good shag. I've never had a one night stand in my life and I'm 52.

Hope it goes well x

RedMapleLeaf Fri 01-Jan-16 20:32:07

Perhaps a bit too late for OP but I'm now looking at First Date Conversation/Action Tips For Women! on YouTube.

Ticktacktock Fri 01-Jan-16 20:35:25

Isn't the internet wonderful grin

RedMapleLeaf Fri 01-Jan-16 20:50:30

For future readers grin my research produces:

1) Look feminine. hmm
2) Smell good.
3) Keep it light and don't disclose anything too personal. Try to change the subject if he gets too personal/heavy about himself.
4) Don't talk too much. Definitely not gossipy or bitchy. Listen to what clues the man gives about himself and what he's like.
5) Don't try too hard. Be yourself but be confident and calm.
6) Keep calm, don't get dramatic or negative if something goes wrong. Keep comments about the meal etc positive.
7) End the date. Keep them wanting more.
8) Thank your date sincerely. Don't send a text afterwards.
9) After the date wait for him to contact you.
10) Reply when he contacts you.

Hmm, I'm going to struggle with one or two of these!

FlatOnTheHill Fri 01-Jan-16 21:38:18

I don't think he's got any teeth grin

PrincessBooBoo Fri 01-Jan-16 21:48:07

Oh God! Bad teeth! My bete noire I'm afraid, I wouldn't risk it...

thehillshaveyes Fri 01-Jan-16 22:02:31

Sorry for the misleading post, my dates not until next week - we just arranged it earlier smile

Thank you for the tips Red, you'll have to let us know how your date goes tomorrow!

I'm actually really worried about the teeth situation, I can't handle bad teeth! They don't have to be perfectly straight but they must be clean and looked after. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt though grin

experiencedpresenthider Fri 01-Jan-16 22:23:02

If (when!) he asks you on a second date, don't be so relieved he likes you that you say yes without considering whether you like him too. I'm sorry if that sounds obvious but it's a trap I fell into several times while internet dating. Good luck OP-I'm sure his teeth are fine smile

ExitStageLeft Fri 01-Jan-16 22:32:19

I think he's got gappy or crooked teeth, my friend always covers his mouth for that reason!

Good luck op!

thehillshaveyes Fri 01-Jan-16 23:23:51

I don't mind gappy or crooked as long as it's not extreme! He seems too good to be true so far so if that's the only negative then I can live with that smile

Overabarell Fri 01-Jan-16 23:46:20

Good luck; a new exciting beginning at the start of a new year.

RedMapleLeaf Sat 02-Jan-16 20:23:54

Update from me: today went really well, somehow managed to stay out for much longer than either of us expected. I hope I kept every rule from above, but am going to have to dig deep to not break rules 8b, 9 or 10.

thehillshaveyes Mon 04-Jan-16 11:15:58

That's great news Red smile

Have you heard from him since? 2nd date? Mines on Saturday! So nervous/excited!

RedMapleLeaf Mon 04-Jan-16 11:41:19

I'd got in to my head that he'd be in touch by Tuesday (and if he didn't, then that was that). He text yesterday smile and we exchanged a couple of friendly texts. I'm now fighting hard to resist asking him out on second date, it's his turn grin

How are you in touch with your date? Have you exchanged numbers? Have you got your outfit planned? Isn't it a bitter-sweet torture all of this?!

Goingtobeawesome Mon 04-Jan-16 11:43:02

Why play games, Red? If you want to see him again, tell him!

thehillshaveyes Mon 04-Jan-16 11:47:26

Where did you go for your date? Did you have any awkward silences? That's my worst fear! Fingers crossed he asks you out again soon smile

Yeah we exchanged numbers after about 2 weeks and we've been texting every day so far. He always texts first so he seems keen. I just hope there's a spark there when we finally meet. I have no idea what to wear to be honest. Any tips? grin

RedMapleLeaf Mon 04-Jan-16 13:04:07

Oh I've been straight Going, we both agreed to a second date. I hope it's not game-playing, but I just don't want to rush in to something, or more accurately rush him in to something. Does that make sense? sad

RedMapleLeaf Mon 04-Jan-16 13:05:15

"Agreed to wanting to see each other again" that should say.

RedMapleLeaf Mon 04-Jan-16 13:10:28

We drove out to a nearby national park and had lunch. I can't remember any awkward silences, but we were both on good behaviour I guess.

If there's no spark, he could still be a friend to do social stuff with?

Re what to wear, what are your plans / rough time of day?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now