Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

People you feel comfortable/uncomfortable around

(10 Posts)
whenwomenruletheworld Fri 01-Jan-16 15:26:17

Hi. I was at NYE party yday and experienced both these in 1 night. DB of host is an unusual character with issues. My friend and I were sat on the couch talking and she said this man made not just me but women uncomfortable. Hosts young daughter told him to shut up right at that point. I can't explain why he didn't exactly do or say anything it is just something about him..looks at you and doesn't say anything it creeps me out. Then another guy later my friend knows a little came and chatted absolutely lovely and we are both close to him on the sofa mildly flirting totally safe totally respectful slight hint of possible gaydar flicker but no he isn't.. Just wondered if you've ever had this thing about feeling comfortable or uncomfortable around someone. Used to get it a lot more in my teens mid 30s now.

springscoming Fri 01-Jan-16 15:29:37

I'm often very wary of a certain type of overly charming, well groomed man.

whenwomenruletheworld Fri 01-Jan-16 15:30:58

I find the word charming itself a total turn off and quite creepy

stressedbutblessed15 Fri 01-Jan-16 15:38:20

Yes I do.
Some people give off bad vibes.

ForalltheSaints Fri 01-Jan-16 15:44:32

Michael Gove

BackforGood Fri 01-Jan-16 15:56:42

Yes. I believe that's why you have a built in 'instinct' and it should be listened to. Some people just make you feel uncomfortable, and others completely put you at your ease. Most of us are somewhere in the middle I guess.

TimeToMuskUp Fri 01-Jan-16 16:01:45

I don't get this often; probably only a couple of times in my 34 years, but yep, it's an odd feeling.

DS1 met a friends new DP not too long ago and came home asking was it ok to dislike an adult without knowing why, saying the DP made his tummy feel funny. For me that's proof that humans sometimes get instinctive feelings about people, and some folk just give off an air that's not quite right.

MiniTheMinx Fri 01-Jan-16 16:05:42

Yes of course. When I was younger it was just instinct and I never questioned it or sought to work out the surface phenomena to see what lay beneath my instinctual responses.

Now, I can mostly tell you exactly what it is that is making me feel uncomfortable.

Guacamowle Fri 01-Jan-16 16:06:18

Yes!! I have a male colleague ( luckily don't have to work with him that often) who totally gives me the creeps! Holds eye contact just a bit too long/ is too intense in casual conversation (" no, how are you really Guacamowle ") Freaks me out!!
Also have another colleague who is like a big brother - always feel completely safe with him.

alltouchedout Fri 01-Jan-16 16:08:43

Definitely. So much communication is non verbal isn't it? I try v hard not to take dislikes to peopke without good reason but that said, if my gut tells me something I don't just dismiss it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now