Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Is it that I have little in common with these people

(7 Posts)
sotiredofthis1 Fri 01-Jan-16 02:03:07

or am I really boring grin?

Just back from a New Year's Eve get together at my SIL's. The dc and I went as they get on well with their cousins. Another older cousin was also there with her dc, as well as SIL's neighbour and dc.

H did not come as he preferred to stay with his Mum (we are visiting h's family who mostly live in a particular town - 2 hours away from where we live).

I basically could not think of much to say to anyone confused or them to me, so spent a lot of the evening in silence while they all chatted away. I did listen and laugh etc... and made the odd comment but that's it confused - somehow felt as if I had been struck dumb!!

sotiredofthis1 Fri 01-Jan-16 02:03:58

And Happy New Year by the way.

FriendofBill Fri 01-Jan-16 02:05:51

Don't over think it.
It's ok to just be.

Pinkandbluemcdonald5 Fri 01-Jan-16 02:09:32

Do you always feel like that around them? If yes then, you prob are not natural with the family. I'm sure it will get better.

sotiredofthis1 Fri 01-Jan-16 02:18:23

Yes I do - quite a lot of the time. They don't really ask questions or show interest either and a couple of them dominate the conversation quite a lot ...

FriendofBill Fri 01-Jan-16 02:20:49

Lots of people are like that to varying degrees.
Just talk about themselves.
they probably had a fine time.
Chattering on about themselves. grin

AlwaysBeYourself Fri 01-Jan-16 02:47:12

We are all different. I used to feel like I had to try and think of something witty and amusing to say when I was around other people but now I just let them get on with it and smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now