Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

At this exact moment last year my H was strangling me and punching me in the head in front of our three young children

(69 Posts)
Namechanger2015 Thu 31-Dec-15 17:12:55

And three weeks later I took the MN advice and left him.

So today I really wanted to say thank you. I really did leave him because everyone else told me to, because my own head was so messed up I couldn't really see right from wrong anymore.

It's been a tough year in some (lots!) of ways but an amazing one too. Everyone in the world is lovely. People are kind and helpful and wish us well. H is evil, not me, and not everyone else in the world.

After ten years of isolation I now live with family, and close to family. In fact 2 of my 3 have been at my sisters house all day and I will see them tonight at my cousins New Years party (to which I am taking comfy pyjamas and a karaoke disco ball!)

Life is good. Thank you all for giving me the courage to leave. I'm sure I will be posting for advice and will have future ups and downs, but this is a post I really wanted to be able to make.

Thank you all. You really changed my life. smile

Caprinihahahaha Thu 31-Dec-15 17:15:33

Absolutely nothing to do with me but congratulations - how great for you and your children !

Well done.

Grumpyoldblonde Thu 31-Dec-15 17:16:56

You are a brave and strong woman, I can wish you and the children nothing but happiness, well done and Happy New Year!

neolara Thu 31-Dec-15 17:19:06

Congratulations on your new life. We'll done for being brave and making the break.

BerylStreep Thu 31-Dec-15 17:19:45

Glad to hear this year will be a better NYE for you and all your family.

It takes guts to make a decision to leave, but well done you on showing your DC that you / they don't have to put up with that sort of life.

DoreenLethal Thu 31-Dec-15 17:19:52

I am so glad you broke free OP. Here's to an even better 2016

ThisIsStartingToBoreMe Thu 31-Dec-15 17:20:54

I'm really pleased for you.

Happy 2016

whatdoIget Thu 31-Dec-15 17:21:50

So pleased for you. Onwards and upwards flowers

CwtchMeQuick Thu 31-Dec-15 17:21:53

Such a lovely post!
I know how much strength leaving takes and you should be so incredibly proud of yourself for that.
Happy new year!

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Thu 31-Dec-15 17:23:57

Congratulations and a Very Happy New Year.

Namechanger2015 Thu 31-Dec-15 17:26:05

Ah crap. You are making me cry and I haven't even started on the wine yet. It's an emotional one for me this year. I actually did it. I'm free. And I'm so damn happy.

I can hear my dad downstairs trying to explain the plot of Homeland to my 6 year old daughter. She sounds confused smile

Life is so good right now. My family are amazing and love us all so much. My daughters are so happy and secure and loved and know they never have to stay with a man who hits them.

I remember posting about this in the days that followed the assault, and how terrified I was. Posters kept me company day and night for three solid weeks till I left.

Then one day someone posted 'I haven't heard from namechanger today, I hope that's because she is busy leaving'

And I was. My next post came from my mum and dads house with my brothers and sisters with me.

Am so happy. I made it.

Geepee71 Thu 31-Dec-15 17:26:35

Wonderful, hope 2016 is everything you wish it to be.

Creampastry Thu 31-Dec-15 17:27:51

Fantastic. I am very pleased for you and hope your story will inspire other women to move on.

MadameJosephine Thu 31-Dec-15 17:28:12

Well done, you should be very proud of yourself. Enjoy your party and look forward to a brighter future in 2016. Happy new year

goddessofsmallthings Thu 31-Dec-15 17:46:51

Any credit for changing your life goes to you, and you only, for finding the courage to reach out to strangers whose advice empowered you to act in the best interests of your dc and yourself.

You've come a very long way in only a year - you sound as if you're bubbling over with happinesss and I have no doubt that your dc have also thrived in your new set up.

I hope that other victims of dv who read this thread will take heart from your story and resolve to make their lives as good as yours - even if they don't have supportive families, they'll find encouragement and support from numerous kind and helpful people who'll wish them well.

flowers Well done you wonderful woman - your dc have a mum to be proud of and you should be equally proud of yourself.

LaContessaDiPlump Thu 31-Dec-15 17:48:12

flowers Namechanger. You did it!!

Marilynsbigsister Thu 31-Dec-15 17:49:07

You will be an inspiration to so many who post here. Thank you !

AnnaMarlowe Thu 31-Dec-15 17:49:41

What a lovely post.

flowersflowersflowersflowers

I hope 2016 has only wonderful things to come for you and your children.

AyeAmarok Thu 31-Dec-15 17:52:46

Ah that's great to hear!

Well done you. Hope 2016 is just as successful for you smile

Jibberjabberjooo Thu 31-Dec-15 17:58:23

Wonderful. flowers

CalleighDoodle Thu 31-Dec-15 18:00:07

It is easy to give advice but very difficult to take it, even when you know it is right. Congratulations on being brave and strong and taking that step. Have a great 2016.

Wilhamenawonka Thu 31-Dec-15 18:01:18

I remember your posts and am so happy for you that you got away and have got through this year.

SmallLegsOrSmallEggs Thu 31-Dec-15 18:01:23

Well doneflowers

Wishfulmakeupping Thu 31-Dec-15 18:05:01

What an amazing update OP I can feel your happiness in your post smile
Have a brilliant night tonight and I hope 2016 things keep getting better x

Offred Thu 31-Dec-15 18:06:08

smile happy new year!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now