Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Does anyone have a 'my romance was like a rom-com with a happy ending' story?

(10 Posts)
happyeverafterrequired Wed 30-Dec-15 17:33:21

Does anyone have a love conquers all in the style of a rom-com story that they care to share? One of those it's never quite the right time and then suddenly after years everything falls into place.

I've stupidly had a crush on one of my closest friends for years, I've no idea if he likes me because we've never both been unattached at the same time, although there has been a bit of a spark sometimes. Now he's splitting up with his DP and i am single but he's also moving to the other side of the world on a fairly long term work secondment. It's definitely not the right time for me to declare this crush, he's going through a break up and making a major life change and I'm trying to be a supportive friend. But while I'm thinking that we will never get an opportunity to give it a go, I'd like to hear some inspiring stories of how one day it actually might work out.

BTW: I'm not going to put my life on hold just in case so I don't need any 'get over it and move on' posts.

Catgirl83 Wed 30-Dec-15 18:11:43

Yes. Six years of being head over heels for one of my uni friends. The crush lasted through nights of not being able to talk to him in the student union because of blushing and stammering too much, graduation, him moving back home, me ending my long-term uni relationship, him getting a girlfriend and moving back to our uni city to be with her, and them breaking up. We eventually got together and, over six years later, are now married. I hope this helps, although I do have friends that waited years and it didn't work out for them. I firmly believe that we were a case of 'the timing had to be right' in order for it to work.

Joysmum Wed 30-Dec-15 18:15:10

My DH was always in love with me, I never saw him in that way. Long story short, it's 22 years later.

It's certainly not been a rom com though. Life is hard sometimes.

Blarblarblar Wed 30-Dec-15 18:28:20

My childhood friend and I. It was allways just not right. I was smitten from the minute we met ( I was 8) he was a mature and worldly 12 no interest apart from watching Star Wars together. We stayed good pals into our late teens but he always had a girlfriend and I made do with his various pals on my visits to see him (half way across the bloody world). Eventually when I was 21 on a beautiful clear night we took a midnight walk with a bottle of wine, he was wearing a tux me an evening dress (fancy party we don't normally look like that), he said I was beautiful and special, looking at the stars we kissed.............. Like snogging my brother! Yucko! Was not happening didn't want any under the clothes action. Glad I did might still be pining for him now. We remain friends who are very happy that as much as we thought we fancied each other it was just two people of the opposite sex who did genuinely love each other platonically. We were young and got muddled. He was a wonderful template for me later though, genuinely believe he taught me how a man should be. Still love the boy he was. Ooh god you got me all teary.

happyeverafterrequired Wed 30-Dec-15 18:29:09

Joysmum what made you suddenly start to see him in that way?

AnyFucker Wed 30-Dec-15 18:29:14

there's a thread just made for you that is active right now...

happyeverafterrequired Wed 30-Dec-15 18:34:35

AF which one?

AnyFucker Wed 30-Dec-15 18:39:41

this one

I am not sure there will be a happy ending there though.

happyeverafterrequired Wed 30-Dec-15 18:55:09

Thanks AF

MimsyBorogroves Wed 30-Dec-15 19:15:56

Me.

Moved to a new city with my boyfriend. We broke up, and I had an amazing night dancing with an acquaintance of his. We spent all night talking and got together. He broke up with me a couple of weeks later as he felt I wasn't in a place to take the relationship seriously - but never told me that at the time.

Over 8 years, we were on again and off again for nights or longer periods, but could never make it work together for a variety of reasons. Eventually we stopped talking as neither of us could cope. I was living away again and met someone else.

My relationship wasn't great. I got pregnant and the relationship disintegrated, but we were staying together for the sake of our child. I got back in touch with friend randomly one day, sent him a text out of nowhere and we started talking. I went down to see him and we had an evening out together which ended in a lot of flirting and cuddling. A couple of days later he told me there was no way we could make a go of it, and should renew our friendship instead. A couple of months later we had a night out together with nothing happening - a first - and a couple of months later again we met up and stayed all night in his flat talking. We realised our feelings had never changed for each other - but the logistics of the situation were once again stopping us being together. I was still with my boyfriend, at the other side of the country, and I couldn't end it because of our child.

Long story short, the relationship I was in completely fell to bits and I ended it. Ex walked out on me and my son, leaving me with a house I couldn't afford on my own and no idea what to do. Friend moved in that night to support us financially, commuting across country etc. A couple of weeks later we were back together, and a couple of months later married.

It's been bloody hard, but I'm grateful every day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now