Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Advice for a pregnant friend who needs to leave her partner

(5 Posts)
kingvardos Tue 29-Dec-15 13:32:48

Hi. I have been following Mumsnet for ages now and have never posted or started a thread but I could really do with some advice.
I have a friend who is heavily pregnant and needs to leave her emotionally abusive partner.

She has no job or any money/family to help and needs to find somewhere to live that will accept housing benefit. She can’t find anywhere. Are there any places to find landlords that will?

I told her to go to citizens advice and the housing centre but other than that I can’t think of any other options. He won’t support her at all
financially and she has no savings. Your advice is much appreciated.

MatildaTheCat Tue 29-Dec-15 13:42:06

Our local authority runs a domestic abuse One Stop Shop which has Police, legal advisors, housing and domestic abuse workers all in one place. It runs once or twice a month. Could you find out if there is such a thing near to her and even go with her?

If she presents as homeless to the local authority housing department she would be given priority although she may well be placed in B&B initially. Or she could seek advice from WA and look at going to a refuge. They can advise on claiming benefits and moving on safely.

It is daunting but very much better to go now rather than having to leave with a young baby. Her midwife and HV will be supportive and she should confide in them although they cannot physically sort things for her.

She's lucky to have you to assist. Is there family she can go to otherwise?

hellsbellsmelons Tue 29-Dec-15 13:45:42

CAB absolutely.
Shelter and Womens Aid can help her as well.
He WILL support HIS OWN child if he works and has an address.
She needs to get in touch with CSA as well. Child Support Agency. Or CMS as it might be called now - Child Maintenance Support.
They will ensure he pays what he should.
But she needs to get away and WA will help her with that.

kingvardos Tue 29-Dec-15 13:46:21

Thank you for your reply. She has her mum I know that. But I don't know if she lives far away. I will let her know what you said, I didn't know about the One stop shop so I will definitely tell her that, and to talk to her midwife.

She is just very scared sad. I have already said I will do all I can. I know that some local facebook forums will donate baby clothes etc so I will suggest that too.

Lavent Tue 29-Dec-15 13:53:31

Please encourage her to speak to Womens Aid and move temporarily into a refuge. They will help her with benefits etc and she will be classed as "homeless" so will be a priority for social housing (the wait totally depends on where she is).

I lived in a refuge whilst pregnant and lots of baby clothes etc were donated to me and also a Moses basket. The support workers will be able to help her.

Feel free to PM me if you need any more specific advice as I have been in that exact situation only pregnant with 3 under 7s in tow and fled from abroad. I am fine and it was the best thing I have ever done. If I can do it, anyone can smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: