Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

If someone doesn't value you as a friend do you cut them off?

(18 Posts)
Batmania Sun 27-Dec-15 21:57:31

If you feel a friendship is one sided and the other person doesn't particularly value you or respect you, and makes no time for you, do you cut that person off?

CrabbyCockwomble Sun 27-Dec-15 21:59:12

Yes. Why wouldn't you?

Dumdiddlydum Sun 27-Dec-15 22:01:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

likethehip Sun 27-Dec-15 22:04:49

Yes, I do. I don't have time for people in my life who add nothing to it. They don't need to have done anything major, just not having time for me shows that the friendship is over and it's time to move on.

ChishandFips33 Sun 27-Dec-15 22:06:57

To a degree. I just wouldn't run after them, spend time organising things for/with them but would be there if they genuinely needed me

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Sun 27-Dec-15 22:12:12

No, but I would let it drift.

SixtyFootDoll Sun 27-Dec-15 22:13:30

Yes.

Bonkerz Sun 27-Dec-15 22:31:45

2015 has been a difficult one for me with friendships but what I have now at the end of 2015 is a group of loyal friends who give me as much as I give them and who love me despite my faults. That means so much more than losing the fake hard work friends I had at the beginning of the year

RedRainRocks Sun 27-Dec-15 23:10:18

Yes.

likethehip shared almost exactly my thoughts.

Vanderwaals Mon 28-Dec-15 06:03:54

Yes.
I had a friend who was very selfish, didn't see when she was in the wrong, immature, used to argue every time she saw me, made me do things I didn't want to do. I don't know why I put up with it so long, but she used to be fun.
So one day I decided I'd had enough and just stopped talking to her. Last time I saw her we had an argument over me not helping her do something, she 1000% percent believes I'm in the wrong.
Now she just shares passive aggressive posts on fb!

TouchingToes Mon 28-Dec-15 06:20:49

Absolutely! Don't waste precious time on someone who doesn't value you.

BadlyBehavedShoppingTrolley Mon 28-Dec-15 06:27:59

Yes. Always. And I back off from people who want too much from me as well.

Friendships are no different to romantic relationships. Sometimes in psite of whatever it is that you like about one another, they are too one-sided and it's always going to be slightly hard work, sometimes everything just clicks and they last for life.

ScoutandAtticus Mon 28-Dec-15 07:05:10

Let them come to you and if they don't then back off. We have a couple who are like this. Rarely invite us over but are always to come to us, happy for me to have their child for hours but don't reciprocate and will drop is for a better offer. As much as I enjoy their company when they are here I shall definitley not be chasing them anytime soon .

ScoutandAtticus Mon 28-Dec-15 07:05:59

Gah! Spelling mistakes. You get the jist.

mrsnec Mon 28-Dec-15 07:31:00

I used to cut people off but I realised I was alienating people this way.

Having said that I do have another friend who I like but who never has time for me I appreciate how busy she is but she always has to keep repeating that. I probably would see more of her if I got involved in some of her hobbies but they're not things that interest me. So I accept that. But I've not had a proper conversation this year and for two years in a row she's been too busy to have a coffee with me on my birthday. I don't contact her but whenever she says we really must get together I say I'm free whenever you are and don't get a response.

Yet she sent her husband round with gifts for us for Xmas. Lovely and very generous ones too and we hadn't even done them a card which was a bit embarrassing. So it's made me think she values our friendship more than I thought. My point is I think friendships are very different these days.

This particular friend does value me and respect me I think but the ones I did cut out definitely didn't. I don't actually have a massive circle of friends though and I'm fine with that but my dh thinks I should forgive the ones that upset me. But I felt I was running around after them all the time and burdened by their problems. I don't feel like that at all with the other one. So that's what you have to ask yourself.

Alastrante Mon 28-Dec-15 13:56:43

Aren't we all a bit obsessed with 'cutting people off'? Need it be so dramatic?

The answer is yes, if you have a difficult relationship with someone and you can't give what they need, or take what they are giving (especially if it's horrible) then you don't have to see them. It is perfectly normal and all right not to like being badly treated, and also not to like someone so much that you want to necessarily go the extra mile for them.

All this 'best friends forever' and extreme loyalty that people feel the need to show: I think it covers up a lack of self-belief in some ways. People can be really tricky and horrible to each other and sometimes it's the best thing to just drift away without a scene and let everyone get on with a tiny bit less stress because of it!

DioneTheDiabolist Mon 28-Dec-15 14:06:37

I have never "cut off" a friend. We all grow and our lives and priorities change. I think friends recognise this and maintain if they don't get to spend so much time together.

I accept that sometimes friendships wane, but I'm with Alastrante "cutting contact" is drama seeking.

likethehip Mon 28-Dec-15 14:28:27

No drama involved here. When I say 'cut off' it is more like letting it wane or drift like others have said. There is no need to make any announcements or or defriend them on FB (you can simply unfollow), but as contact details change over time, you leave them off the list of updates, and eventually they fall off the radar. It doesn't work I suppose with local friends, or people you see regularly through the school run or work and can't avoid, but I have never had friends in that situation, all my friends are people who I have to make an effort to see - and I can't be bothered to make that effort if I'm not gaining anything from it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now