Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Online dating help

(11 Posts)
blueberrymojito Sat 19-Dec-15 20:45:51

I've been chatting to a lovely man online who lives in my local area for a couple of weeks, I think we will probably meet up in the new year. I'm a single mum with one Six year old DC. When do I tell this man I have a child? Should I have told him already?

I'm only young so no one assumes I will have children, and in the past when I've told them before meeting in person they've always stopped talking soon after! I know it's not for everyone so that's fair enough. I want people to get to know me as a person first before they decide whether they still want to see me despite me having a child.

I'm very new to dating after having children and I'm clueless as to what to do!

daisychain01 Sat 19-Dec-15 20:53:32

I would make it clear as soon as possible that you have a 6yo. Otherwise it could sour the relationship and erode trust if you wait much longer.
The longer you leave it the more it will make it look like you deliberately wanted to deceive.

CherryPicking Sat 19-Dec-15 21:40:53

I'm not sure but having a similarish problem.

CalleighDoodle Sat 19-Dec-15 22:04:38

I had that i have children on my profile because of it will put someone off, i dont want that someone anyway!

Oysterbabe Sat 19-Dec-15 22:20:42

Agree that you should mention the child in your profile. Some people don't want to date people with kids and that's their call.

niceupthedance Sun 20-Dec-15 06:33:02

I didn't have it in my profile but always mentioned it before a date, you can engineer it into most conversations. I only had one person stop talking to me afterwards and that was because he "didn't want to be a dad to someone else's kid" (er- it's just a drink, mate).

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sun 20-Dec-15 06:42:58

I have it on my profile. Getting my shit together to meet a man in real life is enough effort without him ruling me out for having a child - what a waste of everyone's time. It's fine for people to have a preference not to date people with children so give them the info up front so they can rule you out if they want to

Mrswinkler Sun 20-Dec-15 06:44:28

I'm in the same situation but there's an option to say whether you have kids. People need to know so they can make a decision before contacting you. It sucks that some men will pass on you because of that fact but that's the way it is. Kids are a big deal in a new relationship.

I also don't contact people who say they definitely want kids as I don't; happy with my one and can't envisage another. That sucks too as it really reduces the pool of possibles......

Seeyounearertime Sun 20-Dec-15 06:45:42

If he had kids when would you want to know?

blueberrymojito Sun 20-Dec-15 21:14:45

This for the replies. I'm not sure when I would want to know? I think it would help if I knew them better first.

Anyway I told him today and he was fine with it and thanked me for my honesty. He still wants to meet up smile

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sun 20-Dec-15 21:34:32

That's good!
There are plenty of men who don't care and wouldn't see it as a problem but a few men who do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now