Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Sinking ship

(4 Posts)
kateshair Thu 17-Dec-15 20:11:18

I'm not sure what to do. I split with my husband the year before last. I'm the last year of our relationship I did a lot of extra hours so I earned more than I would normally.. I was working extra to save for improvements to the house we had together. I had to leave our house as he wouldn't go or would even talk to me about the end of relatonship. Can't claim tax credits as they go on the previous financial year. I'm having to rent privately and that is expensive. Got all my bills. Can't claim housing benefit as I have equity in the property.. This amounts to maybe 25 k at the most. House is rented out now as ex blocked me on selling it. Have put it back on the market now but think it will be tricky to sell with our tenants in there. Their rental Period runs on Jan I think.. Ex has given me a total of 380 in two years towards our daughter. He has her two nights a week and is good in that sense.
Am stressed and worried :-( anyone got any advice ?

pocketsaviour Thu 17-Dec-15 21:20:24

Do you have a solicitor op? Have you filed for divorce? You may need to do this in order to get the ball rolling on the separation not just of your marriage, but also your finances, and he needs to be paying at least the legal minimum for child maintenance (spoiler: it's more than he's given you.)

If you haven't got a solicitor please call round local firms and try to find one of two who give initial free appointments. Get advice on your situation and then go forward from there.

kateshair Fri 18-Dec-15 19:17:18

Thanks for replying pocket :-)
Sorry we weren't married. I went to see a solicitor six months prior to leaving him she just said try to keep it amicable as you want to sell the house !
I should have gone to C s a in the beginning but the amount that we rented our joint property out used to be less that the amount the mortgage is.. Now that has changed as I upped the rent to the tenants and I got out mortgage deal lowered, better interest rates e t c...
Just want it to be sold then I can use the small equity to put down on a deposit on a flat or small house for me and daughter.
Tax credits I don't get as I earn to much !! Just to clarify I earn 23,000 a year ...

pocketsaviour Sat 19-Dec-15 11:19:38

Ahh, okay. You said husband in your first post so I just assumed.

Honestly I'm not sure where you can go from here but I think you need specialist legal advice. Maybe try reposting on the Legal board?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now