Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Don't know how to approach this with DM

(6 Posts)
Beaverfever Mon 14-Dec-15 23:48:14

Left husband back in August.
He has been financially and emotionally abusive for many years.
I had decided I would leave him in January and it took me a long time to get the courage to finally do so.

I have been living with parents since.

I have been seeing a lovely guy for about 6 weeks and all is going lovely.

I knew him as a friend for quite a while , so it's all very lovely.

However, tonight I asked if I could invite him over for new year DM wasn't happy and is making out like I've been cheating on my ex.

How do I handle this?

He really wants to meet my family.
I've met his and at this time of year, I don't want things to be sour between family.

I was planning on finding a place to live closer to my work in March but after tonight I just feel I need my own space again and want to do it sooner.

I'm feeling so sad and low about this.
I'm a 30 year old woman, why shouldn't I be able to do more of the things that make me happy and move on with my life?

Parker08 Mon 14-Dec-15 23:49:17

Can you spend NYE with your new guy separately?

Beaverfever Mon 14-Dec-15 23:53:43

I think we will be now.

It's a shame as the reason I wanted to spend new year with family is there is a member of the family I don't get to see a lot and mentioned this to dm.
I guess if it's a problem for them we will do our own thing.

LeaLeander Tue 15-Dec-15 00:04:30

I can see your mom's POV. You're not 4 months out of a bad relationship and already jumping into another one. In her shoes I would be skeptical too and not necessarily want a stranger at a family party.
That said you are correct; as an adult you can do as you please.

Parker08 Tue 15-Dec-15 00:07:22

Well maybe she's ready to date? Just spend some time with him and then go home and put in an appearance at the party.

Beaverfever Tue 15-Dec-15 00:10:27

I know it's good to have some time alone after a relationship break up but I also don't want to pass by an opportunity at happiness when it's looking promising.

It's almost as if she would prefer me to be on tinder than seeing one person on the odd occasion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now