Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

If only I could "settle"

(8 Posts)
Dinglethedragon Mon 14-Dec-15 21:18:28

<sigh>
Divorced for 5 yrs, it was the right thing to do, hard, but right for both of us. He has married the OW. I have a good friend, we were all part of the same uni crowd 30+ yrs ago, and he's always been in our lives - my DC adore him, I love him to bits, but I don't fancy him. I have the strongest suspicion that he would like more than "just friends". Why the fuck can't it work like that? We have similar interests, we are great friends, we can talk for hours, we're both single - but the thought of sex ... sad

ThisIsStillFolkGirl Mon 14-Dec-15 21:25:14

No, no, no, never settle!

I have a very good friend, no one believes we are "just friends" and "I just don't fancy him" doesn't seem to be a good enough reason for them!

But don't ever settle. It's not fair on anyone. Just enjoy your really good friend.

pocketsaviour Mon 14-Dec-15 21:34:06

Life is way too short to spend it having sex with someone you don't fancy.

MyrtleFox Mon 14-Dec-15 21:37:14

Well then if you cant picture or face the thought of sex with him, that would be awful!

catsrus Mon 14-Dec-15 21:48:28

I Know I know I know .. But I keep thinking 'why the fuck don't I fancy him?' He's smart, kind, funny ... We have so much in common, not just our history but our interests - seriously, if you were a matchmaker you're put us together - but chemistry .., nah.

I spoke to my exh today. We disagree on so much, I think he's a wanker, but the chemistry is still there.

Why on earth does that happen? Why be attracted to someone so wrong when someone so right has no attraction at all?

MyrtleFox Mon 14-Dec-15 22:01:33

Chemistry with your x? That's worrying perhaps.

I feel no chemistry with my x even tho he is a goodlooking man.

tootsietoo Mon 14-Dec-15 22:10:51

I don't know if you would call it "settling". It's deciding to have sex with someone you really like, and maybe love. It could be a lot better than you expect! You can't have sex for another 30 years with a wanker, but you can with a lovely person who is on your side.

However, once you've done it, if you don't like it, you might have buggered up the friendship a bit!

Intheprocess Mon 14-Dec-15 22:30:08

Not fair to just give it a go if you think your friend is much keener than you are. Have faced the same situation myself and am pretty certain that my decision to not dtd was the right choice for both of us. We're still great pals fifteen years down the line.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now