Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Practical tips for social life?

(14 Posts)
Imustgodowntotheseaagain Mon 14-Dec-15 20:23:58

I'd love some advice on how to reconnect with people without imposing on them.

I'll try and explain - I'm in a new city, moved for work a few months ago, it all got very difficult with accommodation falling through and various friends helped out including having me to stay.

I'm up and running now and I'd like just to suggest meeting not because I need anything but for a catch-up or a chat.

I don't know how to! What do people normally do? Should I invite them over? Surely that's a bit difficult for parents?

I realise I sound pathetic but it wasn't part of my life growing up and I've got no 'guidebook' here.

Suggestions gratefully received cake

dodododadadada Tue 15-Dec-15 07:28:26

I'm sad that no one has replied to this as I'm in a similar position, feeling odd about inviting people to do social things. I'm guessing that if they were good enough friends to let you stay then they will be happy to catch up with you. How about sending a text saying you'd like to see them and suggesting something you think they might like / be able to do (e.g. if young and fairly free of responsibility maybe suggest an evening drink but for busy parents maybe a quick coffee). Hopefully someone will come along with better advice soon.

bigbadbarry Tue 15-Dec-15 07:30:46

If they let you stay, why not text and say you'd like to say thank you and would they like to come over for dinner?

WottaMess Tue 15-Dec-15 07:40:35

Or if they struggle to get child care why not offer to take a take-away round to theirs so you can still treat them to a relaxed dinner?

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Tue 15-Dec-15 11:04:02

Here's what I suggest, send a group message/text to all your friends saying "hi everyone, anyone free for lunch on x date? Come round to mine, kids welcome, I'm all settled in the new pad/flat be nice to have u all round!"

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Tue 15-Dec-15 11:06:05

Pressed to soon. I do this every couple of months, sometimes ten come, sometimes only three, this is a busy time of year though so don't be upset if only one or too respond.

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Tue 15-Dec-15 11:06:52

One or two blush

wintersocks Tue 15-Dec-15 13:38:11

you don't sound pathetic you sound lovely! i wish you were my friend smile
do what feels right for you - group gathering or just fix up to see them individually, there's no right or wrong. Maybe you could have an afternoon tea in January with the kids or something, as people tend to get quite booked up in the run up to christmas

Imustgodowntotheseaagain Tue 15-Dec-15 21:02:00

I think I'm quite daunted by the thought of inviting people round for dinner but afternoon tea is a great idea! I could manage that smile

manandbeast Wed 16-Dec-15 09:48:27

I think you should drop each one a text individually - thank them for their generosity in letting you stay and suggesting you get a date in the diary to meet up. You can ask what would be more convenient - going out for a drunk, tea at yours or bringing a bottle to theirs.

I can say if a friend moved back to our area I'd be really delighted to meet up. I have a husband and son so on the face of it a full family life- but sometimes I'm lonely for friends who I no longer see all that often!

Good luck OP smile

manandbeast Wed 16-Dec-15 09:49:01

* drink* not drunk
grin

Imustgodowntotheseaagain Wed 16-Dec-15 19:53:51

Thanks, man smile

IonaNE Wed 16-Dec-15 21:07:11

Maybe I am missing something but why do you want all these people in a group? I catch up with friends one by one, in cafes or at home but I invite them over one by one.

Imustgodowntotheseaagain Wed 16-Dec-15 22:19:49

I don't especially want to see people in a group, not sure where that's come from. In fact that's probably more stressful than catching up individually!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now