Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Low mood suggestions?

(8 Posts)
Lostandfounddad Fri 11-Dec-15 22:37:42

Having a bad night.
It's funny because Wednesday was a really good day. Went to watch my youngest in the nursery nativity. Was so proud of him. (and a little proud of myself as the homemade shepherd outfit held together even with my sewing!) Then in the evening had the work Xmas night out, got nicely drunk and had a really fun night. (I was even made to dance, which is an Xmas miracle).
But since Wednesday I've just been on a real downer. Feel incredibly lonely, more so than usual.
Really tired of feeling like this constantly and I know I need to do something to break this mind set. But this is mixed with an apathy and lack of motivation.
I long to be positive, to look forward rather than back, to plan and to act constructively. Instead I find myself constantly dwelling, assuming the worse and getting upset (I cried at an episode of Sherlock earlier...). I've previously started a 'dealing with low mood' course, but did not find it beneficial to me. I know the theory but cannot seem to apply it to myself and break the cycle.
Has anyone going themselves in similar situations, and what have you found helpful?
I need to do something soon.

cantmakeme Fri 11-Dec-15 22:53:39

Do you know what is making you feel down, or is it depression?

I normally find that having small things to look forward to helps me a lot. Just simple pleasures that don't cost anything, things that can be worked into my every day life.

moopymoodle Fri 11-Dec-15 22:55:04

Have you tried mood gym? It's free cognative behaviour therapy online and seems really good. My doctor recommended it to me smile

pocketsaviour Fri 11-Dec-15 23:03:46

Hello OP, sorry you're struggling at the moment.

You said Weds was good and mentioned you went out. Any possibility alcohol may be triggering low mood for you? If you are on some ADs you might find there's an interaction.

Or is it because you had two "high" points (nativity and works event) on Weds and now you feel you have nothing to look forward to?

BTW I also cried at several episodes of Sherlock, including Hound of the Baskerville (poor Russell Tovey was so tortured and despairing I found myself sobbing in sympathy), The Reichenbach Fall ("...one more miracle, Sherlock, for me. Don't... be... dead.") and also during John and Mary's wedding speeches. Oh dear, I'm tearing up now! blush

Lostandfounddad Fri 11-Dec-15 23:19:36

It was Mary and John's wedding! Specifically when Sherlock tells them they're expecting.

I'm not on any medication currently. I've always wanted to avoid medication as I watched my mum struggle with various side effects of depression meds when I was growing up. If I'm honest I think it is a come down of sorts. Which is daft because I have nice things planned with the smalls (off to see Santa tomorrow). I guess for a night I had adult company, could just be me, and let the mask down slightly.

I've just registered on mood gym, I'll have a look.

Thanks for your suggestions. I do appreciate it.

OhBeloved Fri 11-Dec-15 23:30:01

Have you considered meetups OP? If you would like a bit more company?

I find doing something creative, even DIY, gives me a bit of a boost. Also walking or any form of exercise, particularly outdoors.

These long dark nights don't help. If you're just sat in on your own, it can be very quiet. flowers

RedMapleLeaf Fri 11-Dec-15 23:33:37

I find that I always feel better after any form of exercise. Practising mindfulness has helped a lot too.

pocketsaviour Fri 11-Dec-15 23:37:46

It does sound like more adult company could do you a world of good. How are you fixed for babysitting? Or even having a friend round after the kids are in bed for pizza and a film?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now