Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Is it just me or has it gone a bit tits up on here?

(24 Posts)
donajimena Fri 11-Dec-15 22:10:26

A thread that went 'poof' which I know I am not supposed to talk about had some hideous name calling on and another one now where the OP has posted is also being subjected to a roasting.
Ok ok its just the internet and anyone can post but I am just a bit taken aback at the vitriol.
This isn't AIBU (people get advised to move threads from AIBU for the 'support' you get in relationships)
Or am I just over analysing?

M48294Y Fri 11-Dec-15 22:12:21

Most Mumsnet users look at a broad range of Topics. When you mean "on here" do you mean Relationships or Mumsnet generally?

donajimena Fri 11-Dec-15 22:14:42

Relationships. Its been very unpleasant of late.

IamlovedbyG Fri 11-Dec-15 22:18:21

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

firesidechat Fri 11-Dec-15 22:21:25

Relationships and AIBU has more than it's fair share of trolls. It makes posters wary, defensive and suspicious. I'm fairly sure that's where a lot of the "rudeness" comes from.

Personally I work on the basis that 50% of threads are fantasy. It's not a nice feeling.

Not sure which threads you mean though op, so can't be specific.

IamlovedbyG Fri 11-Dec-15 22:23:11

donajimena Fri 11-Dec-15 22:25:35

I get that fireside but unless its glaring I work on the basis that it just may be genuine.
If my spidey senses are ablaze I report <polishes halo>
Am I allowed to mention the one that is running?

IamlovedbyG Fri 11-Dec-15 22:27:21

firesidechat Fri 11-Dec-15 22:28:07

However if you mean the shirt thread, that definitely needed to go. The op was getting nothing from it. Some posters were feeding her distress and those were the ones she was listening to. She wasn't listening to anyone else offering an alternative opinion. I know she didn't have to, but it was painful to see and helped no one, least of all the op.

She was either a troll or someone in deep mental distress. Either way, mn is no place for her, although I wish her well and hope she gets the help she needs.

firesidechat Fri 11-Dec-15 22:31:14

By that I don't mean that we don't sympathise and care for people who are suffering mentally. I just mean that we are rarely equipped to deal with it sensitively and frankly some posters are beyond our ability to help.

Havalina1 Fri 11-Dec-15 22:34:25

Can I ask, what ever happened to the thread by Binders and her husband? Was that removed? When I search in the app it's gone.

Oh I was reading the shirt thread. I hadn't realised it got removed.

CFSsucks Fri 11-Dec-15 22:34:27

I've posted occasionally on here. After a couple of absolute roastings and a lot of unpleasantness I refuse to start a thread in Relationships ever again. One had a poster start a thread in site stuff because of the unpleasantness in one of my threads. It's disgusting.

IamlovedbyG Fri 11-Dec-15 22:34:59

IamlovedbyG Fri 11-Dec-15 22:36:14

firesidechat Fri 11-Dec-15 22:38:36

I'm not your love.

donajimena Fri 11-Dec-15 22:38:37

Well I can't find the other thread now
I thought for one horrible moment it might be in AIBU after all and I have made a bit of a tit of myself but I can't find it there either blush
I guess there will always be trolls that start threads and reply to threads but I was really shocked at some of the posts and I have been here years.

donajimena Fri 11-Dec-15 22:45:26

I had an absolute lambasting by a regular seemingly lovely poster under my previous NN thankfully she was in the minority.
However I did not experience the pile in and name calling that they have had.
Pack mentality?

firesidechat Fri 11-Dec-15 22:45:44

I agree some of the posts were overstepping and not helping the situation. Sadly it does happen and it's a worry that the internet makes us less kind to each other. I've started a handful of threads on mn, but I would never start one in relationships or aibu, just in case a keyboard warrior turned up and annihilated me.

firesidechat Fri 11-Dec-15 22:47:10

It's hard to say without knowing which threads exactly.

IamlovedbyG Fri 11-Dec-15 22:47:22

firesidechat Fri 11-Dec-15 22:53:29

But some threads will trigger a strong reaction and similar opinions by their very nature. Not everything is a pack mentality, although I have seen it happen.

Some trolls are also skilled at knowing which subjects will provoke a strong response and run to 20 pages.

(I'm not saying that thread was one of them.)

springydaffs Fri 11-Dec-15 22:56:38

I can totally trump that.

I recently wandered over to AIBU, after a break off some months, and immediately got into the swing of being acerbic straight to the point - and to my complete surprise the thread ERUPTED! 'How RUDE!' posters, one after the other, were exclaiming in horror.

The whole place had gone all kind and polite! fshock

I scuttled back to cosy Relationships - and lots of vileness going on!

IT'S LIKE AIBU AND RELATIONSHIPS HAVE CHANGED PLACES < gasp >

firesidechat Fri 11-Dec-15 22:59:02

My last comment before I disappear is that trolls and posters who are rude for the sake of it have ruined parts of mn to some extent. Much safer on food/recipes and the Archers thread

donajimena Fri 11-Dec-15 23:03:47

Oh I wish I could find the other thread!
I'm sure it all kicked off on a christmas craft thread once!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now