Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

This might be deleted and I understand why, but why does this particular board get trolled so much?

(16 Posts)
InTheBox Wed 09-Dec-15 16:22:43

Just that.

We have our little corner here. And I always look here for advice, even if my circumstances don't exactly match the case in question why troll here?!

I'd like to think that it'd be more worthwhile for trolls to focus on AIBU (where the masses gather). Not here. This board isn't fun and games. What is the actual point?

Rant over!

RiceCrispieTreats Wed 09-Dec-15 16:25:44

Are you referring to the trolls who fake their sob stories, or the trolls who don't like women telling other women that it's ok to leave shit relationships?

OnceAMeerNotAlwaysAMeer Wed 09-Dec-15 16:35:38

I bloody hate trolls <joins ranting>

They thrive on 'joking' (hmm) and jerking people's emotions around and they get off on other people's upset. Relationships is guaranteed to have some emotive stuff and they love that. The more reaction the better. They don't care if real people end up withdrawing or afraid to post. Destructive much?

I really hate them too.

AuntieStella Wed 09-Dec-15 16:37:27

You can get trolls in any topic, unfortunately.

ShebaShimmyShake Wed 09-Dec-15 16:38:51

Because it's full of vulnerable people who are easy to hurt and upset. When you're a useless basement dwelling troglodyte, it's the nearest you'll ever get to experiencing an orgasm.

shoeaddict83 Wed 09-Dec-15 16:40:35

because some people apparently just thrive on winding others up, even when they are vulnerable enough to post on here for advice. As you say why dont they head over to AIBU or the news topics and troll there. its people like them that stop others asking for anonymous advise when its really needed angry

hesterton Wed 09-Dec-15 16:45:06

I think they enjoy the attention, the thought and time which goes into a well considered response to their made-up post. They have comandeered the attention of not one woman but a group. They have stirred up emotion, like a defiant toddler who would rather have mum riled than be ignored.

It's odd. But some people are odd I suppose.

usual Wed 09-Dec-15 17:22:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dollius01 Wed 09-Dec-15 17:59:14

Some people don't like the idea of women bandying together to help each other. They find it threatening because it upsets the status quo whereby women are meant to STFU while some men feel entitled to treat them like second-class citizens. Such men (and sometimes their tiresome handmaidens unfortunately) don't like the idea of that reality being challenged. Sad but, unfortunately, true.

thatstoast Wed 09-Dec-15 18:04:06

Not sure. I didn't notice it until I hide AIBU and then any threads which tingled my troll sense was inevitabley in this forum.

Are people assuming these trolls are male? I always assumed they were women who thrive on emotional vampirism.

Joysmum Wed 09-Dec-15 18:10:36

I hate trolling, but I hate the troll hunting more as it damages the integrity of the board.

Report if you have your suspicions. I've always had s quick response when I have smile

usual Wed 09-Dec-15 20:04:07

InTheBox Thu 10-Dec-15 11:56:57

usual The thread you mentioned is why I started this thread as it happens. I offered up advice as did many others but then when it went poof I was a bit like WTF. I did have my suspicions but I'd like to think, perhaps naively, that each thread is genuine and give the OP a chance. Especially on this board. On AIBU I couldn't care less but on this board we have people whose lives have been absolutely shattered and need support.

Arfarfanarf Thu 10-Dec-15 12:01:32

Some people are total dicks. Thats really the top and bottom of it.

usual Thu 10-Dec-15 12:01:43

FredaMayor Thu 10-Dec-15 12:08:19

It's possible that MN generally attracts random trolls through search term hits because of the open access.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now