Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

how do you make sure you have made time to catch up with good friends?

(8 Posts)
StrumpersPlunkett Mon 07-Dec-15 11:15:51

I feel like I am constantly letting people down.
Time is limited through working studying and children however, I am aware there are 24 hours in each day.
I usually manage to catch an 8am coffee with a friend on a Friday
could do the same on a monday or wednesday but no one else seems to be available at that point.
Am free a couple of evenings a week but feel pooped so probably one of those evenings should be kept free for brain space.
weekends are dominated by family stuff but there could be more time if I put the effort in.
I just have never felt the need to schedule friendships like this so much.. I don't want to lose touch but also I like spontaneous friendships as well.

Oh Lordy what is the point of my post? well I guess it is to ask how you all manage to keep up with friendships.

redexpat Mon 07-Dec-15 11:49:29

If you have a group of friends then you agree a date in advance for a brunch or catch up, and repeat it every/everyother/every third month etc.

An alternative may be to sign up for a fitness class or something together on one of your evenings.

whatyouseeiswhatyouget Mon 07-Dec-15 13:47:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MagicalHamSandwich Mon 07-Dec-15 13:52:39

Marking my place - I want to know how to manage this, too! TBH, I've mostly solved this by befriending my co-workers, I see them every day. grin

WRT my other friends, I try to make sure I have them over for dinner every other month or so. Which is way less often than I want to see them ...

chrome100 Mon 07-Dec-15 14:14:10

Why don't you see more of them at the weekends? Why does it have to be exclusively family stuff? Can they join in with whatever you are doing?

mumblebumble Mon 07-Dec-15 14:23:10

I struggle too, I think partly because I really don't like group activities and much prefer to catch up with people one to one. Because of this I find it hard to keep up with too many friends, realistically only have 3 slots a week to see people and once they're full, thats it! Some friendships have changed over time, eg meeting up with the kids on a weekend or people who've moved away so see once or twice a year but for a day/ weekend.
It's hard, sometimes keeping friendships going feels like yet another demand on my time, but I guess as my DC get older and don't need so much input I'll be glad if I've kept hold of a social life!

We3KingyOfOblomovAre Mon 07-Dec-15 14:23:36

oh come on. seriously? its a mental decision. Its important to me, so I make it happen. It really is that easy. I think you need to have a really honest 'discussion' with yourself and work out what the real issue here is.

StrumpersPlunkett Mon 07-Dec-15 14:27:37

You are absolutely right it is a mental decision.
A constant juggling of what is important.
which is why I want to get things together.
I was at a party at the weekend with friends we dont see very often and we were all frustrated that lives get in the way of us seeing each other.

SO
scheduling things seems to be the way to go.
Thanks for all your input.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now